Author Topic: Fig Long Bow  (Read 3507 times)

Offline stone-over

• rock-climber, jeweler, bowyer, student.
Fig Long Bow
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:31:21 pm »
Hey everyone I'm Mike, greenhorn bowyer from out in californy. This is my (long) introduction. Though I was a boyscout for many years, I'd never even shot a bow until I made my own a couple months ago. My first bow was from a scrap of sycamore I cut early this year. It turned out really light, It's about 48"ttt, probably like 15lbs @ 24", I never put it on a real scale, cause I don't have one, but my girlfriend likes it and it's about her draw-weight, so I gave it to her.

It's been quite an adventure getting started. I found this old book, more of a large magazine, called "Making Indian Bows and Arrows, the Primitive Way" in my house, I don't even know where it came from  ??? , but it got me hooked. I've always wanted to make a bow, and this little paperback inspired me to actually do it.

I did some hasty research online about bow-woods, which led me to PA. Due to one bogus image on google images, and my lack of research, I hunted down what I thought was a fallen hickory tree, I split a stave, got it to what I thought floor tiller would be and gave it a little bend, it promptly exploded. I did a little more research and learned it was actually alder that I'd found :D I also learned we don't even have hickory on the west half of the country, ha.

Anywho, This is my second real attempt at a bow, He's a selfbow made from a common fig sapling that had been folded over when another tree fell on it during a small flood we had last winter. It's about 70" ntn, I don't have a scale, but I put it on my bathroom scale and it showed about 40lbs @ 24".

I'm looking to get a few more inches out of it, but I'm not sure if I should reduce the thickness (or tiller the sides?) much further, cause it's getting a bit thin. or if I should just draw it that much more and see if it holds. I'd rather have a light bow than a broken one, and I don't have much experience, so I'm thinking I should shave a bit more off before trying to get like 28-30" draw. You'll see in the pictures that my tiller could be a little better, and I know I should be able to get that draw with the length of bow I've got. Should I just sack up and pull it back further? Suggestions always appreciated. Anyway, nice to meet you guys!
"Sing as you raise your bow, shoot straighter than before"

-Zeppelin

Offline bubby

Re: Fig Long Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:50:42 pm »
I was told fig would'nt make a bow, guess it will ;D, if ya think it's getting too thin, side tiller to get to draw length, and we do have some hickory out here in calif. but most people planted it and won't let ya cut it, pecan is a hickory family member, lots of tree's to make bows out of, oak, and walnut, locust, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 01:28:23 am »
Your tiller looks pretty good. As long as you don't overstress a problem area you can pull farther.
   Is this bow laid out symetrical?  If so, flip it over and take another pic at that draw. I think you could make the top limb the bottom and even out the tiller.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:53:18 am »
make yourself some sort of tiller rig, even a simple block screwed to a fence post will help. look at the libs as you flex the bow and you will hopefully see where the limb is flexing and where it's stiff. get someone else to draw it as you watch. I had a bow a while back which looked stiff at one point but as I watched someone draw it I could see that area start to work at about half draw.
It takes practice to get your eye in, but it's well worth it.
Have a look at my website, (click the globe symbol under my username), there are some short tillering videos on there and loads of stuff, I also run my Bowyers Diary, theres a link from the website.
Have fun
Del
(I like the shades... cool)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stone-over

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 04:42:53 pm »
Thanks for the input, I set up a tillering board and I'll get some better pics of the tiller.

-Zeppelin

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:01:57 pm »
Welcome ,looks like you are well on your way,tiller don't look that bad to me,just keep easing it out and take care of any spots that are bending to much or flat and not bending at all. A tiller tree will help a lot. Good luck and keep us posted.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 04:47:48 pm »
Welcome.. I graduated high school from Merced and spent a year in Redding.  thats a cool looking bow
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline stone-over

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 09:19:51 pm »
Thanks again guys, I just got a tillering board screwed to my wall, I'm also trying to correct a bend in the lower limb so the string will track straight. The heat treating posts on here are extremely helpful!

oh and Merced is awesome!

-Zeppelin

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:01:52 pm »
heck criveraville I'm just down the road from redding in red bluff, probably not quite enough snakes up here for you, unless ya go up buy the lookout, thousands of them there, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹