Author Topic: Lil' D  (Read 3616 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Lil' D
« on: June 18, 2011, 03:38:00 am »
This is a little I made from a scrap piece of hickory that was left over from a split from another hickory bow I'd had made.  I've been shooting this bow for about 18 months actually.  And just now got around to finishing it.  Just after making it (shooting it about 100 times but it didni't have any finish on it.)  I took it to our hunting cabin where some friend shot it.  The weekend was wet, foggy and high humidity.  When I got the bow home it had taken 1 3/4 set.  Prior to that weekend it had only about 1/2 set. 

Well, this was an experimental bow anyhow, being my first attempt at a d-bow.  So, I experimented more by adding sinew.  My first attempt at sinew.  Well the tiller was off after sinewing. I corrected that but lost some poundage.  So, I added another 1 1/2 layers of sinew the retillered.  The tiller is still a bit off but I called it good enough to keep the poundage.
47# at 26"
54" n2n
1 1/8" at the widest point, the handle.
Hemp handle wrap over deer hide pads.
deer antler tip overlays.
This bow bow shoots well and hard.  While it wouldn't be the bow I pulled from the rack to take deer hunting, it would most certainly do a job on a deer.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline BowJunkie

Re: Lil' D
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 03:53:35 am »
Nice utilization or left over resources. If it brings home meat, that's all that matters.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 10:36:07 am »
Yup, I like that, sometimes I think a bow made on the spur of the moment from a odd piece of timber turns out better than the one we lavish hours of care on.
Maybe the grip isn't high fashion, but who cares, the tiller is great.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:37:38 am »
What the heck is wrong with that bow anyways......I kinda like them plain girls myself

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:46:55 am »
Thanks Junkie,Del and Half-eye.  This is fun little bow to shoot.  But, being short she really makes me concentrate on form.  She won't tolerate sloppiness.  haha  And man does she shoot hard!  An errant arrow went through a wood paneled door of the shed of my cousin's.  We were laughing as we could hear it bouncing around inside.  haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline gmc

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »
I like the little shorties  ;D

I agree with Dell, those little leftovers can produce a fine bow.

Central Kentucky