Author Topic: Schuy's Bow  (Read 5103 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Schuy's Bow
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:06:54 am »
Just because I'm posting 2 bows in one day doesn't mean I've become a "bow building machine", I wish.  It means I'm actually finishing projects I started awhile ago.  I cut out or attempted to cut this bow about a year ago.  By attempted I mean I screwed up with the bandsaw and cut in too much just out of the handle/fade area.  After a few choice adult words criticizing my newby mistake, I am a newby after all, I tossed the stave aside thinking well one day it might make a good kids bow.  A week later while looking for something to do one afternoon while I waiting for glue to dry this little osage stave called to me.  "OK OK, I'm sure you have something to teach me I thought."  So I started working on the bow.  I got it to floor tiller then heated about 1 1/2 reflex.  My next work time with this bow (between other projects) I got it to 20" draw.  As I suspected it was going to come in under weight for a hunting. 

I remember coming into the house telling my wife, Schuy (Sky) that this was going to be a sweet little bow, but not a hunting and asking if she'd like a bow.  Where upon she said she was not interested in shooting a bow, but thanked me for the nice gesture. 

I worked on this bow on and off for several month.  Then I saw some really cool artistic archery photos on a model/photographer website.  I'm a photographer.  So I started thinking about a bow that would look good and be a low draw wieght that a model with no archery experience could draw back.  That little osage could fit the bill.

I sinewed the back for looks and planned to add snake skin.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:33:38 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

Re: Schuy's Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 04:23:04 am »
Sorry my computer was glitching out.

I took this bow to the TN Classic thinking I might glue on the snake skin if I found myself bored.  Well that didn't happen.  What did happen is Schuy walked the course with GMC and I and thought this looks like fun.  Saturday she shot the practice course with Lil' D and was hooked.  She had a ball.  So the bow I offered to build for her 6 months ago and she rejected is now HER bow.

Osage 57" n2n
38# at 26"
a little bit of character
sinew backed with rat snake back
rawhide stike plate
buckskin handle wrap RIT scarlet dye
deer anlter tip overlays

Oh Schuy wanted me to mention that she was in her gardening clothes when I asked her to pose with her bow.  :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:35:00 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 04:29:12 am »
more pics
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 07:44:53 am »
Looks great!  Very nice bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:32:50 am »
A very fine looking bow sir, and absolutely no better reason to build one.....there is a lot to be said for the "making process" but it aint really archery til the woods bendin and the arrows are flying, eh?  ya done real good there.....all the way around.
rich

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 11:15:10 am »
 Very nice. Nothing wrong with that at all. Aint it nice how them little misstakes turn out for the good? Tell Skuy the clothes are fine. But she has to take a break to shoot with you ;) Now they can be gardening/archery clothes ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline gmc

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:32:59 pm »
Dave,
That bow looks great and the smile says it all. That should be one zippy little bow and I hope she gets at least a million and half shots out of it. 

Tell Schuy that her new fan base is looking for black leather with high heels in the future. ;D
Central Kentucky

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 01:12:14 pm »
Great job on the bow an congrats on getting the wife shooting.My wife was much the same.She wouldn't shoot with me in the yard.Then I took the whole family to the Tennessee Classic and brought an extra bow for her just in case.She ended up shooting the practice range and loved it. It wasn't long untill when I came home from work I would find her in the yard already shooting. :)

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 02:41:54 pm »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
GMC I'll tell her.
R.H. great story of your own.  Schuy doesn't like guns.  And we have a rabbit problem in our garden and an occassional turkey that wonders into the yard and hangs out with our chickens.  I've heard rumors of bets amoung friends that she'll make meat with a self bow before I do.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 08:13:49 pm »
nice job on the bow but better job getting your wife to soot it ;D
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 06:07:30 pm »
Thanks Eric.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 06:51:18 pm »
I agree with the above great work!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 11:28:37 pm »
Thanks Josh. She's loving her bow.  It shoots very well.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:35:02 am »
beautiful bow Hedge, finish works great , good story ,congrats on the wifes entry to archery

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 07:42:51 am »
Beautiful bow ,very nice work in all aspects. Tips /skins and grip all very nice,she should love
that one. :) :) Tell her to be sure and keep that forearm out of the way,that's what broke
Miss Joanie from shooting a bow. Ouch!!!!! ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good