Author Topic: Finger pinch? (Updated: with new bow pics)  (Read 10189 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Finger pinch? (Updated: with new bow pics)
« on: June 18, 2011, 01:25:18 pm »
Just got another Osage selfbow off the bench and was shooting it yesterday and noticed it gives me a noticeable finger pinch compared to my longer Boo/boo.

She is 56" ntn, 56# @ 28"...I have a bit of recurve in the tips, well they started as recurved but I cut them down so they are more "flipped" than a true recurve.  Maybe the pinch feeling is normal for a shorter bow but I don't have much of a reference point.

This is the same bow that started out looking like this...

https://picasaweb.google.com/BlackRiverRaptors/06_01_11

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:10:16 pm by Lee Slikkers »
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

Re: Finger pinch?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 01:52:57 pm »
You know its illegal to talk about a bow and not show pictures here  :D

Is it a stiff handle or a bendy? Either way tho... yeah...your thinking right... a shorter bow is gonna have a sharper string angle causing more pinch on the fingers. I tend to draw my shorter bows with the string on my finger tips and not in the crease. It helps a lil. If you still don't like it you can maybe try a thumb loop on the string or a thumb ring. Or put a loop on for mechanical trigger release  ::)    ok.....kidding about that last one  ;)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:22:59 pm »
I know...no pics and talk a new bow can get a guy "banned" from the site I was told.  My kids and wife have my camera (trip to DC) and they left me my son's POS camera.  Has a mind of it's own, lets me take 1 pic then shuts off and won't turn on...pull the batts out sometimes it will keep working sometimes not...anyway, tired of the thing  ;D

So pics will have to wait until Monday I'm afraid...the tips/last 12" of the limbs were super snakey and I managed to correct of if it on this one but when I flipped the tips the snake came back and both tips flair in (fortunately) opposite directions so at least the string alignment is tolerable.  I'd like to try and correct them again but I am fearful that reheating that area will cause me to loose the flipped tips correction which I added last.  Might have to live with it BUT it does bug me.  Oh, the handle is stiff, bulbous style.

I shoot with a homemade finger tab...it might not be doing it's job.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 02:25:20 pm »
Short bows equal finger pinch Lee. Try lowering your draw elbow more and see if it lets up some.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 02:29:15 pm »
OK, figured that was the answer PD...I'll try dropping the elbow a bit, my pointer finger was the worst so I can see where lowering the elbow would alleviate some of that, thanks!
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 04:11:40 pm »
Back in the early seventies when it seemed everyone wanted shorter and shorter bows
I learned to shoot with a one finger draw just to see how short we could get !
 (about 34" lenght @28" draw)
that seems to be about the time some one came up with the mechanical release, since most could not draw much weight with one finger .
Then they decided that cams would allow them to go even shorter and archery took a differant direction that I did not like !!
Anyway I'm rambling, so the bottom line is you can draw with less mass on the string if you want to.
Since then a 68" stick with a string has been all I want, no frills or gadgets 
Most of the time I don't use even a mark for hand placement or arrow placement !
Just me and my stick with a string on it !!
"Keep it simple keep it fun"
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 04:58:41 pm »
Your son needs, no deserves, a new camera, Dad ;D ;D

Lane

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 05:01:50 pm »
Guy, I hear ya loud and clear...I was considering joining those "really short bow guys like Ken75 and Rich but maybe not after this 56" bow.  It didn't start out life as a 56" bow but I salvaged her and now I have a slight idea about going any shorter and whether it's for me or not.  I'll just say that I spent this morning laying out a 68" bow in Osage for my next one.   ::)
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 05:03:59 pm »
Your son needs, no deserves, a new camera, Dad ;D ;D

Lane

No kidding!  He just got this one too...had issues and brought it back and the guy said he "fixed" it but obviously not...we'll be headed back there on Tuesday to get a replacement.  It's a Polaroid so we figured it was a decent one...maybe it's just this one unit. 
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Finger pinch? (Updated: with new bow pics)
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »
Added new pics on the 1st post...thanks~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 07:31:16 pm »
Thats a nice looking bow! Man if its pinching you real bad ill take it off your hands ;D tiller looks nice too
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 07:41:40 pm »
Hey Lee,
      You are drawing serious hunting weight at twice the draw length, so I wouldn't believe that some finger pinch is that out of line. It aint comfortable mind ya, but hell man that short bow is workin man!!!! Real nice bow by the way.....
rich

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 07:45:01 pm »
Thanks Elktracker!

Hey Rich, nice compliments...thanks.  I hadn't thought it from the terms of AOL compared to draw length...good point.  Still doesn't get me into your or Ken75's class of shortbows but I'm bearing down on it...finally  >:D

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 07:48:53 pm »
Ooooooo....youve just turned the corner lee. Awesome job. You look like a pro now with that bend. All that hard work is finally paying off and looks like you got a nice bow to me.  ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 08:03:36 pm »
You can just stay right in your own shop!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.