Author Topic: Vine Maple for my father (Thar She Blows!!!)  (Read 13470 times)

Offline Weylin

Vine Maple for my father (Thar She Blows!!!)
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:31:38 am »
On a recent shooting excursion with some friends we cut a nice vine maple stave. I plan to make a bow for my father as a welcome to Oregon gift. He will be moving from Wisconsin out to Oregon to be closer to my wife, son and me. He's always shot fiberglass recurves but he's really into primitve skills in general so I think he'd enjoy a selfbow. I had to trick him into giving me his draw weight and length in the context of a larger conversation about archery over the phone without him knowing what was up. Here's the stave right after being cut and then some pics of it after I reduced it with my hand axe, stripped the bark off and sealed the ends with glue. After it dries for a couple months I'll get to work on it and give some more updates.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:58:26 pm by Weylin »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Vine Maple for my father
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:01:36 am »
That should make a great bow for your Dad. Lots of character like him I bet.  ;)
  Where in Oregon are you? Oregon is one of my favorite places to visit. My sister lives in Beaverton and my wife and I have driven around the NW 1/4 of the state on a couple of visits out there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:05:23 am »
You couldn't ask for a better wood to make him one. I'll bet he'll enjoy it. When he decides to give up those nasty glass bows, email me, I can help. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:53:42 am »
Yeah he's definitely a character. Oregon is really a great place, I live in Portland, which is right next to Beaverton as I'm sure you know if you've been here. There are a lot of great bowyer's out here, I'm just starting to get in touch with some of them.

@ Mullet, thanks for your generous offer to take those off his hands, I'll send him your way when he's ready.  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:10:00 am »
Keenan and his wife Lulyn are in Bend. Great folks! Gordan lives in Beaverton and don't forget Ted Fry in Hood River.
  Usually when we fly in we go directly to China Town for dim sum to help wind down from the trip.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 02:13:08 am »
Nice, I'll have to try the Dim Sum. Gordon was the one who helped pick out and cut the stave, actually. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting the other people you mentioned but I did get to work with John Strunk in Tillamook for a whole weekend. That was awesome.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 11:47:34 am »
You did a nice job debarking and reducing the stave. That's going to make a very nice bow.
Gordon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 02:37:30 pm »
Thanks Gordon, I've got a good feeling about it. It is pulling into a fair bit of reflex as it's drying, should I be concerned about that at a certain point or will it be easy to tame that down when it's time to build the bow?

Offline John W. Cooper

• Bronze Bow Archery
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 03:24:26 pm »
I'm really looking forward to this build.  I love the look of the pristine back after peeling of the bark like that.  So much easier than chasing a ring.  That reflex that it's pulling into should make it a real screamer!

John
It is God who arms me with strength
   and keeps my way secure.
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
   he causes me to stand on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle;
   my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
~Psalm 18:32-34

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 05:59:10 pm »
Weylin, vine maple is reaction wood so it will pull into reflex as it dries and there is not much you can do to stop that. But with careful tillering and patience it can be tamed.
Gordon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 06:27:56 pm »
I agree I am looking forward to updates
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 10:14:47 pm »
Ok, it's been drying for a couple months so I went ahead and chopped it down to rough bow dimensions with my hand axe. On the advice of Gordon I'm going to give it another month or so before I reduce it more and start bending it but for now here it is roughed out. It's taken a hint of reflex since it started,  ;) it was pretty much straight when I cut it. I'm looking forward to seeing what kinda bow I can make out of this.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 10:30:33 pm »
Weylin your stave looks like a good one, but it will probably pull into a little more reflex by the time it is dry.
Gordon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 11:12:01 pm »
Looking good! Keep it up!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 11:35:02 pm »
Weylin, I applaud you for making a bow for your father!  My father got me interested in archery when I was a pre-teenager.  He became an archer when he picked up an English long bow serving in England during WWII.  How I wish he were still here to shoot with me.  It's coming along well.  I'm sure your father will love it!