Author Topic: Wild cherry longbow  (Read 10387 times)

Offline druid

Wild cherry longbow
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:46:55 am »
Hi to all. First of all I will try to introduce myself (forgive for my bad english). I am Druid, newbie bowmaker (15 or so bows untill now) from South Europe. I was earlier more active on some other forums because I had some problems about loging on PA but now it seems to be fine. I will be more active now. This is great place with great members. I spent a lot of time reading posts here, a lot of expirience and knowledge for sharing...best regards to all!
P.S. If there is a place just for introducing- please redirect me there, I didn't find it.
This is wild cherry bow. SG is 0.74 and this should be some heavy bow but somehow I made it weaker than I wanted. It is 73" ntn, 30 mm wide and 25 mm thick. Physical weight is 637 grams, 80# at 29" and I draw it to 30". During replacing my workshop thsi stave came with dry staves and when I started heat treating it developed some checks, so I didn't proceed further. Finish is walnut stain and bee wax and linen oil over it.

Offline BowJunkie

Re: Wild cherry longbow
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:03:17 am »
Welcome Druid.
Very Nice bow
Are you saying this bow is unserviceable due to cracks in it?
If so, it would still make a nice display piece.   ;D
Johnny
in Texas

Offline druid

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:06:31 am »

Thank you BowJunkie.
No, it is very usefull. I didn't want to protect it, just to see could it handle the crack without protect. I tried it with 1200 grein arrow, good shots.  >:D It holds about 1/2 of reflex, although it was wet.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:08:53 am »
Welcome to PA, I feel sure you will like it here,That bow looks pretty good to me,tiller look good.
 Nice work and looking forward to seeing more.
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:20:38 am »
Hey druid. Welcome to PA man. Glad your over here now too. Nice intro and my eyes are still going  :o

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:41:44 am »
Very nice looking bow Druid. The tiller is awesome.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 12:25:53 pm »
Druid, welcome to PA...(I've lurked on some of your other posts on PP) and you do some wonderful work.  This Bow is no exception....very nicely done.  I would love to see some type of a tutorial or a step by step on how you take a stave like this and end up at a bow.  I've worked the wider splits from larger diameter trees but haven't really figured out in my head the best process to use for taking a smaller sapling from stave to bow.

Wonderful stuff...
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:41:14 pm »
Very cool Druid, love the full draw shot. aleays admired your work on pp and especially the way you make the knot filled bumpy sticks into perfectly tillered bows.. this is another beauty.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 04:30:30 pm »
Hey thanks for shareing! Thants a nice looking stick! I have seen some of your work on PP as well you make some nice bows! Welcome and great to have you here ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 05:01:35 pm »
Welcome to Pa Druid. Congratulations on such a fine bow.  Tiller looks great and at eighty pounds I bet that spits the arrows out very well. Very nice character bow!

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:44:07 pm »
Very nice tiller.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline druid

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 07:39:03 pm »
Thank you Del, Keenan, Elktracker, ErictheViking. Lee I will make some photo tutorial of the next character bow and if there are more interests I can post it.
Thank you Justin, blackhawk, Pappy.
Tommorow I will post some more bows.
Great place here! :-)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 07:48:37 pm »
Druid, that would be great!  I'm am positive many folks on here would appreciate seeing a build-a-long.  They are always a big hit and loved by all.  Thanks again~
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 07:52:53 pm »
Druid, that would be great!  I'm am positive many folks on here would appreciate seeing a build-a-long.  They are always a big hit and loved by all.  Thanks again~

X2
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline dbb

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 08:06:35 pm »
I agree! Who doesnt like build-a-longs.
I have seen some of your other bows at pp and theres a lot to learn from someone that kan make bows from those gnarly pieces of wood ;)

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...