Author Topic: ROO RAW HIDE  (Read 3179 times)

Offline crooketarrow

ROO RAW HIDE
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:55:27 am »
   I no longer back bows exsept for someone wants it. I got in on a trade some kangaroo raw hide. Which is super thin (see through) and is said to be 10 times stronger.At lest leather, bull whips are made for it because of it's light weight. I'm only going keep enough for a couple bows but would like to trade the rest which would be enough for 3 maybe 4 bows. Would like some good chert but open to anything.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

Re: ROO RAW HIDE
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:58:31 am »
  Forgot to say I've used it a long time ago and it's so thin you can see the stained wood trough it. I polish it up and left 2 like that. looked really different.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:57:45 am »
pm sent

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:41:58 am »
Damn you James!!!  >:(   Roo is extremely strong. When I had a leather shop back in the early 70's we used a lot of roo lace.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:45:06 am »
Original Adidas Tennis Shoes from the 70's were made from Roo Hides...man I miss them shoes......... :(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dinorocks

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 01:18:45 pm »
I have a pair of Ultimate Frisbee cleats made out of kangaroo leather...man can I jump high in those!!!

Dino
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow"  GD

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:49:35 pm »
Roo leather is THE choice for leather jesses and anklets on birds of prey.  I bought a hide and a quarter and it almost broke me!  That stuff is not cheap!  I can only imagine how fine the rawhide would be for bow backing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 02:27:29 am »
After reading this thread I been doing some digging on the net and at local suppliers (Houston).

I have not been able to find any Roo Rawhide readily available as of yet.

So I'm guessing it is pretty hard to come by.

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 11:20:33 am »
        We used to buy roo lacing and hides from a company called Austral Interprises but that was back in the early 70'(that is the 1970s  ;D)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 11:36:09 am »
Tandy still has roo lacing in their catalog, but it's $70/25yds.  Calf lacing, which is nearly the same color and  thickness, is $30/50yds (and is what I use now).  I used roo lacing for the first few bows I made as back then they sold it by the foot.  Now you can only buy spools.  I can only imagine what a whole hide would cost. :o  Sure wish I'd seen this before James....and Pat.  :D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 03:24:37 pm »
A six sq. ft hide sells for about $135, tanned, plus shipping from the U.S importers.  The only sources of rawhide I've seen are out of Australia and they seem to be running $10 Auzzie per square foot! 

I'll stick to domestic antelope rawhide for now!   ...or $5 bills, they'd be cheaper.   >:D  Don't get me wrong, I'll use a 'roo hide if I can get my hands on one.  To quote Pat B, "Damn you James!!!"
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 05:09:52 pm »
I pretty much Only use Roo Lacing for my leather work unless I need something real heavy or thick lace wise.
Keep plenty around for what ever project might come up.

Still hunting a source for Roo Rawhide though.
Have a few new leads to follow up on we'll see.

Tandy doesn't carry Roo Rawhide Sides.   :-\

-Gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX