Author Topic: I got me a John Strunk bow!  (Read 11384 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
I got me a John Strunk bow!
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:22:48 pm »
So I have been doing weeding and some work around John Strunks house and he told me to pick out a bow for doing it :o :o :o I am lucky enough to live near him and spend as much time as I can hanging out over there learning as much as possible. John is a great man and one of the great bowyers in our country IMO and I am honored to call him my friend and to be able to learn from him. So I knew right away I wanted a Vine Maple bow because I love all his VM bows and have shot a good number of his bows, they all shoot GREAT! but something about the VM I just love! I shot about 4 of his VM bows and this is the one I picked and after finding out it was his favorite clout/ golf shooting bow because it has EXCELLENT cast, I was glad I picked it. This bow all around shoots better and straighter than any bow I have shot so far and is a perfect fit for me. John named this bow (One Eyed Willie) because of a knot toward the top limb that ressembles an eye ;D. I hope you all enjoy the pictures and I hope John doesnt mind me posting it but im sure he wont I am just to proud of this bow not to show it off.

The bow is Vine Maple 60" end to end and pulls around 57# @ 26" It has a charcoal stain. I love it
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:22:00 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: I got me a John Strunk bow! (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:25:26 pm »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:25:59 pm »

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:26:34 pm »

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:27:49 pm »

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:28:54 pm »

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:33:58 pm »
Ok maybe not so pic heavy I cant get about 4 to upload there too big and I dont want to resize them too lazy ;D and it wouldnt post more than one on a reply so sorry about that and doubles if there are any ;D

Josh

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 06:41:14 pm »
Josh, you dirty, dirty dawg!  The words "envy or jealous" can't even begin to describe how I feel...not just for you acquiring the bow but having that type of friendship with a Bowyer of his legend.  Good for you and thanks for sharing pics of the bow.  Congrats~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:46:20 pm »
Thanks Lee I feel very proud and honored to know him and hang out and work on bows with him or even to just sit back and watch him work and ask a million questions ;D He is always happy to give answers to all of them and he is a GREAT teacher I guess retiring from being a shop teacher had somthing to do with that ;D

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 06:52:55 pm »
Josh, you ought to sneak in with a video camera then  >:D and maybe put together a nice "Stunk inspired Podcast"  ;D
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 06:59:36 pm »
 ;D I have thought about it but im sure he already thinks im a stalker lol "can I video tape you for a few days? Ill just set up my tripod here lol" :D

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 07:22:07 pm »
LOL, I hear ya bud...but last I checked "stalking" is an OK act for this group, no?  Anyway, very cool bow and congrats.  If you ever get an extra Vine Maple stave or two and wanna swap for some Osage you be sure to look me up OK?  Not sure I'm up to the VM challenge but dang, sooooo many great bows have come out of this wood.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: I got me a John Strunk bow!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 07:28:35 pm »
Sure thing ill dig through what I have and find you a nice one and set it aside and when I get some money for shipping saved up ill shoot ya a PM ;D

Josh

Offline druid

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 07:34:08 pm »
Great work! I am character-bow fan!

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 07:41:43 pm »
I shot this bow 3 weeks ago.
Fantastic.
His collection is rather awesome.

Did you shoot the black service berry twig?
What a screamer.

He sold me one of his personal bows last month for a song.
I felt honored.
You aught to cherish that bow. There isn't another around like it

He is so free with his knowledge and his wife is a hell of a cook!