Author Topic: Ocean Spray bow  (Read 16265 times)

Offline dbb

Re: Ocean Spray bow
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 09:40:28 pm »
Really nice bow,laserstraight and some charachter in the same package.
Well done!

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 09:53:14 pm »
Thanks dbb it does have a pretty bumpy back but you cant really see it in the pics thanks again

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 11:35:37 pm »
Awesome looking bow Josh. Love the character bumps and the bone flat profile. Congratulations on a very sweet bow. Try a heavier arrow and see if that helps the hand shock.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 12:42:27 am »
WOW! today is show off your awesome bow day! great work Josh. all the oceanspray here is smaller than 6ft and nothing thick enough. good work and tiller looks goodto me.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Timo

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 01:20:41 am »
I really like this bow, the leather grip really matches everything well. I didn't know ocean spray grew big enough for bow wood?

Nice job.

Offline druid

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 02:24:13 am »
Rare wood and good bow. I should try splicing.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 02:46:23 am »
Thanks Keenan I am useing old growth doug fir shafts with 160 gr points I think they are pretty heavy but I will try some of my longer shafts and see what happens thanks

thanks Eric and Timo!

druid I have a few spliced bows in the works some yew ocean spray and scotch broom, it opens new doors to the wood you can use and is just as affective IMO as a solid stave. I use Urac 85 a Z splice and wrap it with heavy braided fishing line, this is the way John Strunk has taught me and he to uses splices allot.

Thanks again guys for all the kind words!  ;D

my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 02:51:25 am »
That turned out really well Josh. Congratulations on another fine bow.
Gordon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 02:55:06 am »
Thanks Gordon Im gonna do some more tweeking but it will get there. Thanks!

Offline aaron

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 01:38:29 pm »
Josh, is that stave from the ones we collected last year?- I just took mine off the drying rack and split 'em down a little. I have one that will make a one piece bow.
any pics of the splice?
did you manage to dry it without checks? mine all checked badly despite sealing the ends ( but i used spray paint) Next time i would perhaps split 'em opon cutting?
aaron
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 01:47:41 pm »
aaron I got this and some others a few months before we got yours but in the same spots. As far as drying this stuff will check like crazy weather you split it or not. The best way to handle it I have found is to seal it Good the whole length with shellack or glue or somthing like that. This stave did not check at all some of the first stuff I got checked but most is basically dry with no checking. I dont think I have any picture of the splice but its just a Z splice wrapped with very heavy braided fishing line. If all your stuff ends up checking let me know and we can go explore some new area that I know has a good amount of big stuff. I have some nice ones behind my house im gonna let go a while before harvesting but there is lots around here!

Offline aaron

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 02:13:37 pm »
cool! thanks.
thin the tips on that bow, dude. you could try out back nocks like i use on all mine.
does the pith on that stave come out of the fades? can you post closeup of handle without leather wrap?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 02:26:16 pm »
I cant take the wrap off well I dont want to its glued in place and like I said wrapped with braided line ;D
The pith I removed there is just a small channel near the handle where it was but I have see a few of Strunks that have a ditch like this most of the length of the limb. Not sure what you want to see when it comes to the splice ??? have you seen a Z splice?

Josh

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 05:41:02 pm »
nice bow how is the re tiller coming along.  I probably would have left it allone my self it looked good but I understand wanting it perfect.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 05:45:33 pm »
Havent got to it yet but I will pry scrape some this weekend, I like the bottom limb slightly stiffer than the top so I will pry have to scrape some on the top limb to. I will have to wait and see, thanks for the interest

Josh