Author Topic: Ocean Spray bow  (Read 16208 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Ocean Spray bow
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:35:39 pm »
I started this bow about 4 months ago and set it aside and just got it finished up. It is Ocean Spray it was originally about 2 inches through I split it and spliced it up with a z splice. She is 64" end to end 50# @ 27" I used some leather I salvaged off a couch and it seemed to match the wood pretty good, some of the bark was cracking off so I scraped it off except the last 8" or so The bow took virtually no set so this wood really impressed me!. The full draw pic is makeing me second guess the tiller but the bottom limb had some reflex toward the last 1/3 where it looks like it should bend more, not sure I may take a few more scrapes off that it is also about 1/4 or so stiffer than the top limb. I charcoal stained the limbs and finished it with Spar Urethane 5 coats. Any tips or suggestions on the tiller are welcome. Thanks for looking

Josh
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:34:43 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Ocean Spray billet bow
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:38:49 pm »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:42 pm »

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:44:11 pm »
Dang, you guys and your Ocean spray, vine maple and yew!  LOL, Josh, KILLER bow!  Love the bark left on and that charcoal stain is really growing on me...probably try it on my next white wood bow.  I don't think the bottom limb looks out of tiller to me, at least from the pics.  I sure wouldn't change much on it that's for sure.

Thanks for sharing bud!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 06:48:24 pm »
Thanks Lee that makes me feel better maybe im being to critical ??? One thing I did notice is that the bow has a noticable amount of hand shock in comparison to most of my bows ??? ??? It is considered Iron wood and is very heavy and dinse so im not sure if that is a contributer? Thanks again Still the more I look at that last third bottom limb it looks stiff :-\

Josh
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:59:37 pm by Elktracker »

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:59:16 pm »
Don't know about the hand shock, sure doesn't look that far off, if any...I suppose if you got hyper critical you could take a 1/2 dozen scraped off the last 12" of the lower limb but not too much.  How wide are the tips and the last few inches?  Looks fairly thin and I can't imagine they are adding to the hand shock.  Never worked that wood so I couldn't say if the wood itself is so dense that it is the cause...doubtful imho.

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline snag

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 06:59:38 pm »
Josh, guess I better keep my eyes open more. Didn't know Ocean Spray grew that big. I keep thinking about making some arrows out of it's shoots though. Great looking bow!
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 07:10:42 pm »
That is one fine looking bow! I always thought ocean spray was for arras too ;D. I see what your seeing on that bottom limb but their so dang close it's hard to tell. I always heard we are all our own worse crittics. I wouldn't change it much if any..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »
Thanks cowboy I will have to wait and see what I do ;D appretiate the kind words

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 07:51:29 pm »
if ya want to get picky you could take a few scrapes off the lower third, but i like the tips just a tad stiff, sweet bow josh, if its really bothering you I'll dispose of it for ya ;D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 07:55:18 pm »
 ;D Thanks bubby I think Im gonna take some off just to get that last 1/3 working a bit more thanks

Josh

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 08:19:30 pm »
I find the use of a Fast Flight string reduces hand shock better than anything else... You using one?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:22:47 pm »
No im using B50 I though about that I have a ff string that may fit this ill give it a try thanks!

Josh

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Ocean Spray bow
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 08:35:00 pm »
very nice bow josh

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Ocean Spray bow
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 08:56:58 pm »
So I tried the fast flight string and it made a very noticable difference! thanks allot 60 ill have to pick a couple spools up ;D