Author Topic: Hornbeam 75# 29"  (Read 3181 times)

Offline druid

Hornbeam 75# 29"
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:29:17 am »
One of my older bows. In some junk staves I had this one carpinus betulus. Never made a bow before of that wood. It was hard, dense and excellent for work. I had to correct few ugly curves with dry heat and it hold it great. After finishing tiller it took about 5 " of set ( ???), I tempered belly and finall score was 1,5 " of set after shooting and light back tempering. I preffered longer bows but this was short, just 66 ntn, 1 1/3" wide and just a bit over an inch thick. Dead pine knots as nocks. Finish was walnut stain and bee wax. It was too massive for my taste. Good shooter and smooth draw. Even with my awfull tehnics it was very precision.  Seems that this stave was under average with it's abilities. It broke under strange circumstances, probably human mistake....
Now I am working on hornbeam that is 1 1/4  in diameter and holds 170# almost without bending. It will be posted soon.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Hornbeam 75# 29"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:52:03 am »
WOW thats a nice looking bow! Are you saying this one in the pics broke? Man you make it look like your putting very little effort into drawing it, my eyes would be popping out of my head lol  ;D Nice bow!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:37:56 am »
Looks like it is perfet straight with no set. Is this the bow that broke? Too bad if so. Anxious for the new one.    Ken
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline druid

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 02:25:46 am »
This is not very high draw weight for me, I handle also 100#+...
Yes, this one broke in hend of one my friend. New one is prepairing for tiller. Set I was talking about took after this photo session.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 08:28:19 am »
Good looking bow,I love your simple but effective bows. :) Very nice tiller on that one,to bad about
it breaking.  :(
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline druid

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:35:24 am »
I have learned from this case that bows that are made for third person should be overbuild a little, to avoid situation like this and to improve safety. Probably it was someone with too long draw.