Author Topic: Boo, Maple, Osage Trilam  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Gaur

Boo, Maple, Osage Trilam
« on: June 23, 2011, 04:16:27 pm »
Hello all,

Here is a bow I just finished for my son.  It's 55" long and 36# @ 23".  We live overseas in Thailand and we are going to make it home to MN in Oct and built it for him to try bowhunting with me.  He likes it.  Hopefully he'll be able to work up to that draw as he is still short drawing it a bit and not quite pulling 30#. 

I had this flying snakeskin from a road kill near our house.  It was hardly damaged and so I kept it in the freezer. 

paduak in the riser.

If you look close you can see the snake's eye.  I used thai silk to wrap the ends.

Horn tips

I find it hard to make a kids bow that packs a punch.  Trilams are also a challenge for me as you need to get the boo and core right or you don't have much belly wood to work with.  This is a take down bow and the riser is a bit stiffer than I would have liked it so it is a pretty extreme bend 10" or so from the handles but it shoots good and hopefully will hold up.

We have lots of shooting to do to get Noah ready (and myself) before Oct.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline bryan irwin

Re: Boo, Maple, Osage Trilam
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:39:44 pm »
very nice bow tiller looks good he looks ready to go hunting
bryan irwin

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:30:00 pm »
great looking bow nice job.
john 3:16

Offline Gaur

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:41:44 am »

"Have Bow,  Will Travel"

Took a bit of set mid limbs.  Hardly any osage left on the bellies.  Wish I would have had the maple a little thinner.

Here is another of my tillering that looks a little better.  Don't think it was the final product but close.  Being a take down its stiff in the riser.

Now I need to make a bow for his little brother.  He loves shooting.  He has been with us 6 months now as we are adopting him. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:12:30 am by Gaur »

Offline jham

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 01:08:47 am »
looks great!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:30:07 am »
Awe man, you didn't mention it was a take down to boot!  That is such a killer build...top notch, 1st class and one heck of a momento for any child.  Well done Guar!  (still love those skins man...)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Gaur

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:55:55 am »
thanks Lee.  Most of my bows are take downs as we live in Thailand and I like the ability to put them in my duffle bag to travel home.