Author Topic: help with lil hic.  (Read 2628 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
help with lil hic.
« on: June 24, 2011, 04:19:19 am »
Hi all, I'm working a48.5"ntn hic.for my son.I know how you all like a story with pics. So I will ask my question and take you on a trip from the start...I started cutting trees in nov.and jumped in with boath feet. Than I started this one for a friend while it was to green it took a LOT of set so I cut 10"off each end and tryd my hand at steam bending the tips........
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: help with lil hic.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 04:28:21 am »
I am making it so it can be shot from eather side this is my forth one and so far the best.the questions I have are1how thin can I make the limbs they are about 1/4"now and maby 1 3/4 wide.and #2jow far dare I make the draw lingth?l want 30lbs and right now it is 30#@19" any help would be welcome.ill get braced &drawn pics tomorrow, thanks

Thad

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:10:30 am »
i know hickory is pretty bendy but a 48.5"  would normally and i said normally only be able to handle about a 23" draw.now with that stiff handle which is about 8" it shortens the actual working limbs and therefore shortens the draw length. i know other have have done more and will chime in. my thoughts would be to take the handle down to make a more bend through the handle i have only made 4 hickory bows due to the high 80 to 96% humidity i have had down here in the south but it is springy stuff. remember draw length is 2 times plust 10% of the working parts of the bows. if i read it right.ken and rich both make some really good shorties they could probally help more than me.sorry for ramcling so long.
doc

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 04:45:05 pm »
thanks,jturkey some things just cant be said in a few short words,thanks for the imput.i shaped the handle lastnight and it fits so good i hate to mess with it i was hopeing to avoid some one breaking it by over drawing the poor little thing so ill just make shorter arrows i guess as the limbs are getting thin and the tiller is really close,i want some life out of it so we will go for 20@30#. thanks agan!!!keep your fingers crossed ill get more pics. up shortly >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:47:09 pm »
You coudl always add tip overlays on each end and gain another 2" of length. It all adds up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 04:56:33 pm »
will tip overlays change the current tiller?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 07:19:47 pm »
Did not have anybody to draw. It is a surprise so I did not have my crew.Im going to put on chery overlays and adj
the tiller we will post finished pics soon.

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: help with lil hic.(final pics.)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 03:07:52 am »
It is finally done, unfortunately it has quite a bit of stack so it is difficult to draw ...but he thinks it looks cool. Gonna have to make a more shooter friendly model. Im open to suggestions and comments thanks as always. :D

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 05:37:03 am »
I hope my kids don't see that.  They might throw rocks at me for the bows I started them on.  That's a beauty!

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 07:19:08 am »
it's probablly still a little heavy for him, if ya side tiller it some you can drop the weight some and not get any thinner, and he'll have an easyer time drawing the bow, if it's to heavy his form will suffer, Bub
oh, and that split log is a thing of beauty, I love hickory ;D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »
I agree with Bubby. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 04:35:31 pm »
It does have a beautiful drawn profile, as well as braced profile.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair