Author Topic: Couple bows ready to sinew  (Read 8025 times)

blackhawk

Couple bows ready to sinew
« on: June 24, 2011, 02:13:29 pm »
I've been going thru a short bow phase lately,and I've been playing with making them into D/R designs of different degrees. The first one is a 52" overall length Osage. Right now the tips are backset by 3 7/8"    deflexed handle reflexed limbs with mild flipped tips.

The second one is a 56" overall length ERC pyramid style with flipped tips. 1 1/2" handle. 2 1/8" fades straight taper to 1/2" three inches from the end where they maintain a half inch wide to the ends for now.ill mildly revers brace it or hang some weight from it when I sinew it to give it some reflex.

And here's both side by side for comparison

I wont be able to sinew em until next weekend tho...thanks for looking and suggestions n critique are always welcome...chris

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Couple bows ready to sinew
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 03:29:00 pm »
Those look like they will make some nice bows, look forward to you progress.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:50:34 pm »
Not trying to steal your post Chris, but I broke a BBO (STUPID MISTAKE) some time ago. I pulled it out of the "corner" last night and snipped off the bad end, then snipped off the other end to balance the length out. Its 1 5/8 wide, 52" oal. I havent done anymore work to it yet. I am going to do my damndest to pull it 28", if it breaks I could care the less. It was junk to start with. The short bow thing got me thinking too!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 05:25:04 pm »
I sure hope so elktracker

Hey Chris...yeah I love the shorties for hunting here in the thicket forests of Pa.  Up close n personal. I had an illegal buck walk by me last season so close I could've poked him with my bow tip n he never knew I was there. And make sure to document and post your carnage....I mean your bow  >:D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:55:44 pm »
Nice looking pair, can't wait to see 'em sinewed.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:25:00 pm »
They both look nice so far but of course the Osage caught my eye ;). How many layers of sinew are you planning to put on each bow? I am looking forward to seeing that yellar one bend :)

Jon W.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:49:07 pm »
Thanks Del

Jon im gonna put 3 layers on each bow. Ill put the first course full length and width,then the next two layers down the crown half inch wide and feather out all three layers at the ends towards the tips. And im gonna do both bows all three layers at once. Mmmmm...the smell of sinew soup n glue.  >:D

This will be my 2nd and 3rd time sinewing.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 12:35:01 am »
Those are looking nice.  look forward to seeing them when completed
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 02:37:09 am »
nice bows i have  never sinewed a bow yet but i am getting the itch to, nice work cant wait to see the finished product.
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 02:24:58 pm »
i like your style Blackhawk, im on a shortie right now that has taken several weeks to glue up . hope to show something soon bow or splinters but im gonna try and get 30 out of it .

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 06:25:30 pm »
Thanks Gaur....thanks peshikthe

Thanks ken...can't wait to see your short project pulling to 30". Hmmm? A short hickory backed bow im guessing?

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 02:26:00 am »
i made a osage 48 inch bow that braced at 45 inches and i pulled it to 27.5 inches,but i backed it with leather with antler tip overlays, i gave it to the fine folks at cloverdale along with a 40 pound 60 inch holmegaard for their door prizes. im gonna have to sinew a short recurve soon.lol 
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 11:35:47 am »
Well..I finally had all day yesterday with nothing on my agenda or any monster trees to haul out >:D
so I spent all day breathing in the fumes of tasty sinew/hide glue soup. Mmmmm...yummy. I put the first course down full width,and a real fat thick second layer down the center of both bows. The Osage should have enough and the cedar might need one more on top down the crown. Ill have to wait n see after it dries some more.

I didn't have time to snap a pic of the cedar,but its precariously propped on its tips in between two chairs with a 25 pound weight hanging from it. Ill snap a photo after work today and post it as well.

Here's a pic of the Osage chilling in the ac.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 12:32:49 pm »
You know the rules bud...you only get 1/2 credit for only showing 1 of 2 bows!   >:D  What style are you making out of the ERC?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 05:55:33 pm »
Well here's the other 1/2 Lee....lol. The ERC is a pyramid style with flipped tips. And i might put a third course on the cedar,its looking like i should anyways. I set the Osage outdoors when I got home. Its frigging hot here today.