Author Topic: new twistedlimbs Osage bow  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

new twistedlimbs Osage bow
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:21:34 am »
I did a trade with gstoneberg for some osage a while back and he send me a couple character staves of osage. I think he may have said they were old fence posts.  They had some issues in some spots and lots of drying cracks, but i told him that was ok, I dont mind tough pieces to work with (as long as the bow is for me. lol )  so i finally decided i needed a new hunting bow for the up-coming season. I sat down the other morning and let the short drawknife tell the story.  I chased down a few rings and let the grain dictate where the bow should be. It came out pretty narrow after working some problem areas but i came out with a 62" bow and 63# @ 26"   the lower limbs is all shades of knarly, top limb in pretty straight with one knot.  the biggest crook in the bottom developed an insane crack that grew off of a drying check. i had to wrap it with artificial sinew just to finish the tillering process.  then once i got it tillered out, i sanded it down, backed it with 1 course of sinew just to cover the drying checks and several wraps of real sinew to bind together a few problem cracks and such.   it also has a primitively dyed leather grip and antler overlays.
     now this goes to prove, if you are determined and take your time, you can take a severally cracked bow and salvage it into a real working bow.
The spot in the pic appears to be a hinge...but trust me i left it real thick in that area to keep it from bending......it just has lots of twist and a dogleg there to begin with..lol
  so after shooting it for a few days now and everything is very tight, i dont hesitate to shoot it at all.   i wont send a bow to anyone else that has a crack like that so i save those "problem children" to shoot myself.     overall its as good as anybow i have hunted with in the past.   this bow is my 91st selfbow.   one my way to 100, i have to make that 100th bow something exceptional.       so again    62" long  63# @ 26"   

btw    thats not a dig on gstoneberg in any way, i knew what i was getting
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:39:20 am by twistedlimbs »
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline JonW

Re: new twistedlimbs Osage bow
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 02:26:47 am »
Nice job on a challenging piece of wood.

Jon W.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 02:31:00 am »
few more
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 02:42:37 am »
Dang, I didn't mean to send you a stave that had problems.  I did want you to have some fun with it though. ;)  Sorry about that.  I've had 2 or 3 staves really crack on me.  I worked one today that cracked right through the bark and almost all the way through the stave.  I always thought the bark would protect the back but my outdoor wood rack settled into the dirt and when the wood touched the ground bad things happened.  Anyway, I'll be happy to send you another one if you like.

Having said that, it's a very nice bow.  I feel good when I've taken a problem piece of wood and made a shooter.  Good job.

George
St Paul, TX

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 02:52:53 am »
nope dont sweat it george,  you never mis-represented anything. you never know what a stave holds within
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:45:07 am »
Nice save, looks cool...id put it on the take a bow hunting program  ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline druid

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 08:35:53 am »
Sneaky beauty.... 

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:17:16 am »
  I like you sewing nise ovelays .
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Will H

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 11:34:14 am »
Great job! Gotta love a good challenge! Tiller looks awesome and I really like how you sewed the handle. Character bows are my favorite! ;D
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 01:11:40 pm »
 ;D Very nice looks like a couple of the bows on my wall isnt sinew great. >:D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 01:34:44 pm »
Great dedication in saving that beast. nice wiggles and of course I always love your grip/arrow rest combo. tips are sweet too.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 01:55:07 pm »
Nice job looks like it was a challenging stave. Well done
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 02:50:31 pm »
nice job Ryan.i'm still loving all the bows that you have made for me.i really like those antler overlays.good luck with your new bow this season,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 07:06:29 pm »
 ryan,
that is a great looking bow.love the tiller...you must have taken a butt load of wood to montana to do some trading..john

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 02:06:35 am »
Thanks a lot guys

Blacktail--  yup i took a looooot of wood to Montana, but its really starting to dwindle now, made a lot of bows since i have been here
Formerly "twistedlimbs"