Author Topic: 2007 Elk Hunting Bow - (Bamboo / Ipe)  (Read 15478 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: 2007 Elk Hunting Bow - (Bamboo / Ipe)
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 06:58:40 pm »
Awesome slide shows david, to cool :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

davidneils

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 10:08:36 pm »
Okay, these aren't the best but they give you a better idea (hopefully) of the bow. I now realize the tiller could be a LOT better! Funny how it looked like it was bending closer to the handle when I had it on the tillering tree. Now it looks real stiff. I'll use it and hopefully improve on the next one!

http://www.telementor.org/images/davidn/elk_bow_braced.jpg

http://www.telementor.org/images/davidn/elk_bow_handle.jpg

http://www.telementor.org/images/davidn/elk_bow_fulldraw1.jpg

http://www.telementor.org/images/davidn/elk_bow_fulldraw2.jpg

http://www.telementor.org/images/davidn/elk_bow_tip.jpg

http://www.telementor.org/images/davidn/elk_bow_handle_back.jpg

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 01:00:01 pm »
Got your fine boo backed Ipe bow all set up for June Backed Bow of the Month.  Thanks for the info about the camera.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

davidneils

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 11:39:54 pm »
OldBow,

I'm shocked that you'd even consider this bow as an entry. I barely feel qualified to string the BOM bows! Maybe it's my Lutheran upbringing that's holding me back.  ;D

I'll do this. I'll finish up this bow as well as the r/d version and enter one of them in August. Okay?

Offline jpitts

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 01:03:31 am »
Good job on the bow. I've gotta get some IPE. Love the trail cam pics too. Thanks
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

davidneils

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 03:14:54 am »
jpitts,

If you use Ipe, be sure and use a high quality dust mask. I pick mine up at Home Depot and they cost about $3.00 apiece.

Let me know what you'd like to build. I'm looking to trade a blank for some custom arrows. You'll see one of them in the Trading Post forum.

Thanks,

David

Offline Kegan

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 04:55:20 pm »
Oh, you're just crazy- that is an awsome bow. Tiller looks really good to me. I especially like how you laminated the boo onto the bow leaving a "dip" at the grip. I'd vote for it :)!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 06:08:56 pm »
Nice looking weapon, and awesome trail camera pics, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

330bull

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 06:51:16 pm »
For a killer natural camo finish, how about some wild cherry bark w/o removing the moss/lichen layer?  I have a VM stave w/ tons of reflex that I want to build a compact hunting bow out of, and I guarantee it will have the natural cherry bark for backing! 

The only kicker would be "how to best protect the backing?"  I think a satin polyurethane finish (exterior) with a few coats would do just the trick.

Any other thoughts by anyone?

Joe

Offline DanaM

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 09:05:11 pm »
Joe use satin spar varnish, not poly.
Sapr varnish is UV proof and weather proof.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

davidneils

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 10:10:25 pm »
Does anyone have photos of using cherry bark as a backing? I like a dull matte finish and I'm worried the poly would be shiny. I know you can dull it down with steel wool but dragging it through the brush brings back the luster in a hurry. I've noticed this on arrows too when I used the gasket lacquer in the past. Now I soak the shafts in Danish Watco Oil for several days. It's not a fancy finish but it's not shiny and it goes all the way through the shaft. I don't have to put anything else on the shaft.

For this bow I'm thinking about using a combination of leather dyes. I love the black tips on Gordon's recent bow. That is really cool. Maybe I'll try for a sagebrush look with black tips.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 12:17:50 am »
Your trail photos are very entertaining, and your bow looks good too.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 12:28:10 am »
David, I use Tru-Oil on all my bows. For hunting bows I add a quick spray of satin poly, over the Tru-Oil, to cut the shine. It works great.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

davidneils

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 12:45:50 am »
Rich, ever since I had a lion wake me up while sleeping on a ridge during the bowhunting season, I've always been fascinated by these powerful predators. That day the lion must have run behind me when I sat up. There were fresh tracks in the mud leading right to the spot where I was sleeping and within a few minutes the toe marks dried.

My first lion pictures this year occurred in February. This was a lion that was captured near Boulder, Colorado and transported up near Woods Landing near Wyoming. It made its way back about 75 miles to an area just North of Fort Collins. I was extremely lucky to get such a great photo of the ear tag and another while the lion walked away.

Pat, thanks again for your help with the tillering! I really appreciate your phone call a few months ago. Something clicked in my frontal lobe and I was fortunate to leverage your wisdom and experience. Regarding the satin poly, I'm surprised that it would stick to the Tru-Oil. That's wonderful. Do you prefer any particular brand of satin-poly?

Thanks again,

David