Author Topic: 2007 Elk Hunting Bow - (Bamboo / Ipe)  (Read 15477 times)

davidneils

2007 Elk Hunting Bow - (Bamboo / Ipe)
« on: June 18, 2007, 07:37:08 pm »
I've finally made a bow I feel comfortable taking an elk with. It's a simple D bow made of Ipe with a Bamboo back. It's 64 inches NTN with 1 1/8" at the fadeouts and 1/2" tips. It pulls 56# at 28" and shoots a 550 grain arrow very well out to 25 yards. I'm confident that it will down an elk at 20 yards if I have that opportunity come September.

Thanks to Pat B. for all the help he provided a few months ago regarding tillering. It helped tremendously.

http://www.telementor.org/images/davidn/elk_bow.jpg

Now I'm working on a reflex/deflex bow using the same materials and nearly the same measurements. It will be fun to compare the two bows.

Offline Kegan

Re: 2007 Elk Hunting Bow - (Bamboo / Ipe)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:45:04 pm »
Sweet bow there! That'll take out an elk ;D!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 07:49:41 pm »
Hey David, by the looks of it - I'd be comfortable too ;D. Hope you get your elk. Can't wait till fall, I'm thinking their's going to be lots of huntin pictures.

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

davidneils

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 08:06:37 pm »
Thanks guys. 2006 was a fun but humbling season. I helped a friend on a moose hunt and then the plan was for him to help me with a elk hunt by calling and packing. Well, at the last few seconds I made the mistake of moving uphill to adjust a cow elk decoy and I left my recurve on the ground. The bull came rambling back in and I had no choice but to call from the prone position right underneath the decoy. I have to admit it was fun when the bull poked his head out from behind a juniper tree at 50 yards to hear my call. At that moment I moved the decoy and he was completely convinced it was a cow. In he came to within 5 feet of my friend. The bull didn't see what he wanted and started headed back to the draw to check on his cows. As he turned to leave my friend stood up, came to full draw and sliced the aorta off the top of the heart. The bull piled up within seconds of being shot.

My bow will be with me the entire season this year!  :D

http://www.telementor.org/images/davidn/David_2006elk.jpg

Offline cowboy

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »
Awesome animals! Wish I was in elk country. Have only been once - spent a week trying but the critters weren't cooperating.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

davidneils

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 08:19:35 pm »
There's nothing like hunting elk in the high country. I feeds my soul like few things do. I'm fortunate to have great hunting within 2 hours of my home. Here's a picture of the area where I spend most of my time in the fall.

http://www.telementor.org/images/davidn/elkcountry_small.jpg

Offline cowboy

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 08:21:41 pm »
Good God! Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!! Where are you?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 09:00:05 pm »
Looks like an awesome bow and the pic of big sky country is breathtakin.
Any chance of some close up pics of yer fine bow?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

davidneils

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 09:06:17 pm »
I live in Fort Collins, Colorado. I'll post some photos of the bow tomorrow. I'm trying to decide on a finish for the bamboo that will blend in to the background in that sagebrush photo. Any ideas?

The snowcapped peaks photo was taken a few hours West of Fort Collins at about 11,000 feet. I've hunted this area every year since 1993.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 01:39:26 am »
David, Your bow looks great. Worthy of a monarch ;).  Last year was my first elk hunt in the San Juan Mts of S W Colorado. Kenneth(Little John) invited me out and we hunted between 9000' and 10000'. We were there in late Aug and early Sept and the elk weren't but the trip was amazing. To take an elk, especially with my own equipment, is still a dream of mine.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 03:10:17 am »
Cool pictures. I can't wait to see more shots of your bow.
Gordon

Rich Saffold

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 03:48:52 am »
What Gordon said ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 11:02:48 am »
I have been waiting patiently.  Can we see more pictures.  We don't just come here for the articles.  :o ;D  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 12:22:43 pm »
This has got to be a fine bow.  Any chance of more pictures?  You're pictures show a lot of sagebrush.  Are  hunting in Wyoming or Montana?
BTW - this 6/19/07 link to our local newspaper is a story about the 2nd largest grizzly ever trapped in Montana this last week.
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/06/19/news/mtregional/news06.txt

If you are bow hunting elk in MT or WY or the Yellowstone NP areas of eastern ID, you might carry along your .44 or bear spray.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

davidneils

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 06:01:33 pm »
Sorry guys. I was out this morning setting up a trail camera for mountain lions. It's another hobby of mine during the off season. My wife tells me there is already plenty to love and she doesn't need bigger love handles. So I plan a few difficult hikes every week. You can see some of my photo slideshows since September at:

http://www.telementor.org/images/davidn/Fox_Sequence.gif

http://www.telementor.org/images/davidn/TrailCamPhotos.gif

Using trail cameras is a fantastic way to learn more about wildlife and it's something you can do all year. I use the products from http://www.pixcontroller.com with help from a master trail camera builder, Bob Scriver:

Phone: 517.887.2520
Email: scriverb@comcast.net

I'll get those bow photos posted soon.

Thanks,

David