Author Topic: Bamboo and RH  (Read 4938 times)

Offline NTD

Bamboo and RH
« on: June 26, 2011, 04:06:24 pm »
Would bamboo that is planed flat possibly become crowned after sitting for awhile and losing moisture in a drier enviroment?  It's the only thing I can think that might have happened.  I got some bamboo from someone that always has top notch stuff.  It sat for a couple months.  Well I glued up a BBI last night and when I unwrapped it this morning it's a disaster.  There are large gaps on both sides the whole length of the bow.  At one part of the limb the boo is cracked where the bicycle wrap was trying to pull it flat to the ipe.  I checked the other piece of boo and it also has a crowned belly.  The only thing I can think of is that the boo dried while sitting in my dry climate and it pulled the sides of the boo up and crowned it.  I guess the moral is to always check before you glue it up ::) 
Nate Danforth

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Bamboo and RH
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 04:23:08 pm »
O bummer, that is too bad Nate.  I'm about to build both a BBO and BBI.  Hope that doesn't happen to me. ???

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:06:01 pm »
Nate, you might be better letting the boo acclimatize first before final thinning. I think it would be less likely to crown or crack like that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:17:53 pm »
Pat, this wasn't your boo, this was glue up ready boo....
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 05:20:25 pm »
I guarantee it will roll up on the sides, I have had it happen to me several times. It is a real bummer.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:27:54 pm »
I guarantee it will roll up on the sides, I have had it happen to me several times. It is a real bummer.

Thanks Justin,
When I get the glue up ready stuff I'll have to remember to glue it up sooner rather than later, and if not to check it and knock the crown down, it's a shame that a whole power lam, core and boo back are now firewood....

I'm thinking of sticking to stave bows for awhile....

Good luck with your glue ups George.
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:31:46 pm »
Nate, what glue did you use?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 05:42:02 pm »
Weldwood plastic resin, there's no delamming this and trying again Pat ;) 
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 05:47:14 pm »
The moisture in that glue might have affected the boo. I've used Weldwood Plastic Resin with good results on bows but we aren't near as dry as you guys out west.

Offline NTD

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 05:53:53 pm »
Pat,
That's why I mentioned that I checked the other piece, it has a crown as well.  I've used this glue several times before for BBO's and BBI's, never had a problem, and the other piece being crowned tells me it wasn't the glue.

Yeah, we're dry out here....It's a different world.  It's 9% RH outside right now....and dropping, just went to 8% as soon as I posted this. 
Nate Danforth

Offline wytetale

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 05:57:27 pm »
I WILL STICK TO URAC RESIN 185TO ME IT,S THE BEST  AND I HAVE MADE ALOT OF BOWS

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 06:00:55 pm »
Yeah Wytetale, you have and you make some nice ones, but this isn't my first rodeo, and it sure the heck wasn't the glue. 
Nate Danforth

Offline wytetale

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 06:07:48 pm »
I USE URAC 185 TO ME I THINK IT THE BEST ALLROUND GLUE   AS FAR AS THE BOO I DON,T THINK IT WAS TO DRY  MAY BE THE WRAP  WAS,T TITE ENOUGHT

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 06:17:12 pm »
Nate, I believe that your real problem is that it's been far too long since we've seen any of your work.  The only solution will be to make more bows faster, so that you use up your materials before they decay on you. :P

Just kiddin.  That's a crappy deal.  What a waste of materials and $$! 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 06:20:08 pm »
wytetale, Weldwood Plastic Resin is about as close as you can get to Urac and not be it. It is also a urea glue but it comes in powder form and mixes with water. Once cured it is hard to tell them apart.  ;)