Author Topic: my old reliable bow  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

my old reliable bow
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:42:50 pm »
Well After shooting my new twisty bow i decided to pull my old bow from the last couple years out and shoot it some more. its a few pounds heavier and definitely has more spunk to it. And I am just addicted to it.  after killing a few deer with it, i just cant seem to hang it up.  I just want to keep it in service.  The tiller needed a little adjusting which i did with some heat (no scraping at all) and got in back in 100 percent order.    so here is some pics of that bow....

so I need hald deciding what to do with it.  the finish work is not up to my standards nowadays, lots of tooling marks that never got sanded, tips are all beat up from the rocks  and i would love to see it in "new" condition, all refinished and such.

But.. i hate to sand away all that aged color, the color you see it is all natural age darkening which as you know takes years to accomplish that rich color.  I hate to get rid of its aged character that it has served a few years to get.   

so what on earth do i do?  sand it down and make it gorgeous? or  leave it alone and enjoy its "story" with the character, and battle scars that it has?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: my old reliable bow
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:48:32 pm »
i'd leave it alone if it were mine. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:54:17 pm »
x2 on leaving it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline druid

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:55:17 pm »
Leave it!!! Good hunt, man...

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:07:28 pm »
I'd leave it alone, too.  Those tool marks and battle scars weave a long story that would be erased with a new finish.  In fact, I've got a few like that myself.   :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 08:15:25 pm »
I'm with the rest of the guys. I still hunt with my favorite osage. It's dark and pretty. The snake skin is scraped on one section and it has a lot of scratches crawling through briars blood trailing, but those are a lot of good memories. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 08:17:35 pm »
Leave that one and make an "updated" replica >:D

Offline johnston

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:08 pm »
Never did have much use for beauty contests. And if that bow hasn't already met your standards it never will. Leave it alone.

Lane

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:13:53 pm »
ya know, chicks dig scars ;D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 10:44:46 pm »
Beautiful bows are nice to look at,
and some are so nice I wouldn't take them into the woods for fear of scratching them.
But being a guy with a production background, I am all about Form, Fit and Function.
Some might consider your bow to have "cosmetic" issues, and some may see it as "character".
So with that said, I would leave it alone. You just cant beat a beat up looking bow, that meets the "F-3'' criteria.
Johnny
Texas
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 10:49:50 pm »
Leave it alone great pics and memories with that bow let it be!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline DEllis

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 01:03:58 am »
I agree with the concensus so far......don't mess with it........obviously has good medicine ;D
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 01:22:42 am »
Clear coat it as is?

Best of both worlds...

-Gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:26:38 am »
I would leave it as is,got to love them when they get some age and blood stained. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 12:21:58 pm »

I can tell you what I do. That helps give you that new look with your old bow. I do this every year. About 15 or so years ago I started sealing my bows with WAX with a hair dryer. Each year I add a new layer of wax hair dryer it and you have the OLD BOW WITH A NEW LOOK
   Plus I do something I can just see people cring at. Sence I started building bows because But on my personsl bows I make the bottom n
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING