Author Topic: Another question  (Read 5427 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Another question
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 01:33:33 pm »
Cool! 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 01:58:20 pm »
Your doing great! When your working and do something really cool put the flake back on the stone and look at how you set it up.  I think that point will do fine for hunting.  I broke three points the other day it is part of the learning process I guess.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:17:24 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 03:55:09 pm »
George, you are really making some nice progress on your journey to usable heads.  I am envious (and taking notes  ;D)  Really good stuff!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 07:16:25 pm »
I am surely having fun, though I don't feel like I'm mastering the process yet.  Thanks for the kind words.   I have so many staves to work that I'm gonna have to take at least a short break from knapping. ???  I did weigh this last point and it weighs 107gr.  That gives me some examples to base future points on.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 08:26:24 am »
That is a decent sized point...I've been struggling to find material up here locally so I may turn to recycled bottles and try some glass points.  Not sure how that will go and I need to figure out how to covert grams to grains since my scales are all Falconry scales and only do grams (but they do the grams to the 100th) so we'll see.

Get bow building!  LOL, I should have my latest finished up today if I get the handle wrap on her.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 08:49:53 am »
Lee,

Google grams to grains conversion and you'll find lots of free conversion web pages.  I could write my own, but there's no need, somebody else has done it already.  People have been very kind to me getting me started with flint, even heat treating it first.  Once I get my own setup done and find some more flint I'll send you some.

I have a lovely yew stave that would be a bow pretty quick if I got after it.  And I have trade billets to get ready for people.  So much fun to be had...and so little time.  Not to mention that it's 100 degrees in the shop every day now which dampens my spirits a little...but not much. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2011, 01:09:07 am »

Dang, George, that is great!  8) I have some untreated Texas flint, but I can't Knapp it for crap untreated.  You have certainly got it going on, for learning!  And Iowa, you should do the Illustrations for PA, ;)  Any of those points will do the job! ;) 8)

Wayne

Offline iowabow

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2011, 11:03:17 am »
Doing drawings for PA would be cool. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!