Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 1944 times)

Offline BowJunkie

Newbie Question
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:14:01 am »
This may be a dumb question.  ::)  But I am all about asking, if I don't know the answer.  ;D
Let's say you find a nice piece of wood, but the wood in question is severely dry.
Is it possible to rehydrate the wood and still make a serviceable bow?
Johnny
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:18:14 am »
I would say yes IMO if you think about it most kiln dried wood is very dry and it rehydrates just fine. I would try it anyway, what do you have to lose ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:24:34 am »
That was my  thoughts.
Next step is to figure out a method to rehydrate.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 12:26:17 am »
Put it in the bathroom for a couple weeks if its really dry ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 12:39:20 am »
lol maybe run a hot bubble bath for it also?  ;D

No seriously ,, what are my options?
And once the wood is rehydrated , should ya seal the ends and back like normal till the moisture content  is at the desired level?
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:48:30 am »
where I live its pretty humid but if I was somewhere that it was allot dryer I would put it in the bathroom because its almost always damp in there at my house. So its a good option just to st it behind the toilet or near the shower but not where its actually in the water. Just leave it in there for a week or maybe two untill you know its close to a safe moisture level (just guess) if you can tell its VERY dry you will know when it has picked up some moisture, then work on it as u usually would. Now if you only shower once a week it might not be very humid in there but in my house and im guessing yours the shower gets used allot so its a good place. I wouldnt worry about sealing it just take it out of the bathroom when you think its good. IMO

Josh

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:53:22 am »
Good idea. Maybe put it up high somewhere.
I got a house full of kids, always someone taking a hot shower.
Maybe it will pick up moisture quickly.
Thanks for the info Josh

Johnny
Johnny
in Texas

Offline dbb

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:13:48 pm »
Why not weigh it on a good scale every other day or so after you put in the bathroom,then you can see if it picks up moisture.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:18:08 pm »
That would work just have to have a scale that weighs small incraments, good idea ;D If the wood is good and dry it will gain moisture unless you have a really good fart fan, if the bathroom mirror fogs up when you take a shower you know there is good moisture in the air. ;D

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »
already on it, dug the wife's  old postage weight machine out of the attic lastnight.
Johnny
in Texas