Author Topic: Pack Goats?  (Read 7935 times)

Offline Stickboy

Pack Goats?
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:05:11 pm »
Been reading some of the back issues of "Primitive Archer" that my wife kindly got me for my birthday (they actually arrived *on* my birthday, which was pretty awesome).  Came across the article on "pack goats" in Volume 1 issue 3, and wondered if anyone here has attempted the use of pack goats?  I've been thinking on getting a pygmy goat for a hiking companion for a while, and the article has further steeled my desire to get one -- now, for a hunting companion as much as for hiking.  Anyone have an insight on the use of a pygmy as a pack animal? 

If anyone is unfamiliar with the article, it talks about how the hunter loads about five-days worth of gear for a hunting trip onto a pack goat (in the article, they're proper goats, and not pygmies).  Once proper rapport is built with the goat, it follows him almost like a dog.  The deer he hunts seem curious as to what the goat is, and at times, come from cover to investigate, which offers bow shots.  The article notes that goats aren't squeamish about blood or carrying meat like horses tend to be, so they'll carry the butchered deer with no thought to it.  Horses are also much more expensive to house and sustain than is a goat, and are much more picky about what they will/can eat.  Depending on your stance on the taste of goat (I find it pretty tasty, myself), the writer suggests use of the goat as an archery target should it prove to be an insufficient pack animal.  ;)

I look forward to your thoughts!
"A man should not step one foot
forth in the field without weapons.
One cannot know, when on the road,
when he will need his spear." - Havamal, 38

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Pack Goats?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:40:50 pm »
This is pretty funny but I know a very serious hillbilly friend of mine who uses them to pack into elk camp and pack his elk out. He has some big goats and there is a lead goat that the rest follow and the leader follows him, I think they pack somthing like 30pounds each and he has 4 tottal. a pigmy goat could pry pack about ten pounds worth of water or beer lol He could pry load more weight on them but he dont want to over work em on long packs. ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 03:55:10 am »
Use big goats with big orange vests. A small donkey works much better but does not taste as good. To me , anyway.

Lane

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 04:28:29 am »
who needs pack animals.. i have a younger brother  >:D
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:27:40 am »
Really shouldn't shoot and eat your younger brother...some folks frown on that type of thing  >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline agd68

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 10:01:58 am »
I never  heard of using goats but I read an article about using Llamas. They are much like goats in terms of hardiness and ease of caring for, can pack about 150lbs over rough terrain. Dont know what they taste like but the Inca ate them and modern Peruvians eat them. Gotta love a truck you can eat when it breaks down...if only Fords were so accommodating  >:D
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:46:00 pm »
Yum...edible trucks... Lol.

I would consider an alternate animal, or even a larger goat, but my yard is only about pygmy goat sized, so I figure I'll see how one does.  I might have to borrow a younger brother if it doesn't work out, though.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:12:32 pm »
here are some pics I stole off another site ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:13:31 pm »
more

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:14:38 pm »
actually pretty cool IMO

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:53:07 pm »
Very cool!  Seen it before but I thought is was a joke.   8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 08:25:36 pm »
That's pretty cool, best of all they will eat anything so no need to bring feed.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 01:44:48 am »
your welcome to the little brother anytime....    >:D
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 12:31:25 pm »
I agree: very cool.  Thanks for finding those pictures; I didn't have any luck when I looked for some.  Definitely going to be getting a goat now... Anyone have any thoughts on convincing a wife that a goat is a good idea? lol

There were a few pictures with the article, but none with the goats actually along on the hunt.  One of the main draws to the pack goat was the ability to eat about anything, especially tough stuff that other pack critters can't digest.  I'm not sure what kind of packs they have on those goats, but I would think a pack for a large dog would work.

Elktracker, what site did you get those from?  I wouldn't mind having a look at it.

your welcome to the little brother anytime....    >:D
I have a little sister, but she would be more likely to shoot me with an arrow than to help carry anything...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 07:13:28 pm »
...and if you get skunked on your hunt you could always eat mutton for super!  :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC