Author Topic: BBI Fix-along - FINISHED PICS!  (Read 3610 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

BBI Fix-along - FINISHED PICS!
« on: June 29, 2011, 08:51:04 pm »
Hey, all.  I recently got a BBI blank from a fantastic bowyer/sponsor who was trying out some new ipe.  (He's a heck of a nice fella and gave me permission to post this thread.)  Well, about half way through tillering I noticed that the grain on the ipe was starting to lift in a few places.  Not fret, but simply separate and lift.  They were small enough that I could simply patch them with a round plug:

Well, as luck would have it, the problem manifest itself in other, larger areas as shown here (I've outlined the offending areas):

I decided to add a belly lamination of osage to try and curb the problem and save the bow.  I used a pull saw to hand-cut two laminations from the waste section of an osage stave I was working on, then trued them up on a belt sander.  Here they are after being cut, then after being trued and trimmed to rough profile:

I needed to remove an equal amount from the ipe from the belly as the osage lams were thick (1/8"), and do so in a uniform fashion.  I created this little scribe to cut a line 1/8" from the belly of the bow on both sides:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:16:44 am by 4est Trekker »
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: BBI Fix-along
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:51:37 pm »
Next, I thinned the ipe belly down to the lines using a 50 grit belt on my sander.  I then pre-bent the fade section of the osage lame using heat so that I would get a nice tight fit at glue-up.  I heated the osage lams well away from the bow and protected the fades with tinfoil while I clamped the lams in place:

Then it was time to glue the lams on.  I needed a way to apply good, even pressure at the fades, so I created these clamping cauls:

Using Urac 185, I glued one limb at a time and hung the bow from the other limb tip while the glue cured so as to not twist or deform the limb.  Since I was going "commando", so to speak, and not using a form, the limb would deform easily if not suspended.

After both lams were glued and cured, I trimmed them to profile, cleaned up the belly face, and came out with this:

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 08:52:44 pm »
I slowly tillered it back out to my draw weight and length, going the last 6-8" using a mirror and drawing the bow in the hand.  Here's what I'm left with after shooting about 200 arrows through it.  This bow is NOT finished, but is sanded enough to be able to shoot safely.  I'll post some finished pics soon. 

Thanks for looking!

PS: The bowyer gave me the blank for free and gave me permission to post this thread.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:07:11 pm by 4est Trekker »

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:13:59 pm »
Nice save and looks like a nice bow! Sounds like a nice guy to give ya the blank for free ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 09:46:13 pm »
NIIIIIICE. I think it actually looks better with the Osage lam belly. Makes for a nice contrast with the ipe. And thanks for showing and the how to.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:07:21 pm »
Incredible ingenuity. way to save the bow. As blackhawk said looks better with the osage.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Lombard

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:59:22 pm »
Way to overcome 4est. That is an awesome looking bow that you made out of what could have been a tomato stake.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 03:26:54 am »
Thanks for the kind replies, ya'll.  I'm really enjoying shooting this bow and believe I like the looks of it better now than before.  Ipe sure finishes nice, but the contrast of the osage against it is kind on the eyes.   :)  Thanks again.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 03:54:08 am »
Thanks for taking us trough the process! Man that looks nice!!! 8)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline anglobow

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 03:59:45 pm »
I had the same problem with my first BBI bow recently, I thought that it was because My ipe was flat sawn, as the grain separated between growth rings. Yours looks to be quarter sawn but having the same type of separation. Glad to see you could save yours and the result is quite attractive. Thanks for posting.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 05:07:23 pm »
Outstanding work!
Gordon

Offline Gaur

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 02:10:16 am »
Awesome looking bow.  I had the same problem but mine didn't turn out so nice  >:(

I tried putting bamboo on the belly but I didn't have the core thin enough and wasn't able to get a working bow out of it as with bamboo I could only narrow the bow's width and it got too narrow.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 02:11:04 pm »
Great post, an inspiration. I usualy spit my dummy out when something crops up like that and start again, next time i will try a save.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 03:03:06 pm »
Nice hand work, well done!!! may I ask what glue did you use?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 03:13:51 pm »
Great post, nice to see the scriber thingy you made.
great workmanship, great save. It came out prettier than it started too :D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.