Author Topic: old traps FT........( spoken for again! thanks for looking )  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Catnapper

I have some really old double longspring Victor traps and was wondering if anyone would like to trade for a fairly straight osage stave. They make excellent pieces to hang on the cabin wall and I even used one to catch a badger last winter. I am new to primitive archery so I didn't have archery items to trade. Since I am new to the site and I know trust can be an issue sometimes, I will gladly ship the traps first so the receiver can be sure he gets his item.....Keith
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:04:35 am by Catnapper »
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: old traps FT
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 07:17:36 am »
Have you got any pictures of them and what kind of trade did you have in mine,they would look
good hanging on my cabin wall. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:56:22 pm »
Pappy- I will put up some pics when I get off work. The kind of trade would be 5 traps for 1 osage stave. They do look good on the wall. I have a few hanging around the house. :)
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:30:53 pm »
if pappy doesnt scoop them up let me know....  not sure about a good osage stave at the moment... but i might could come up with something.  Im a trapper and can def use more DL traps.    you can never lay too many traps..     what numbers are they?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:43:29 pm »
Are they stamped metal jaws or cast iron jaws? If they are cast Im interested, if they are stamped out, I have plenty already.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 07:26:06 pm »
I will get some pics up tonight but I think they are #2 victor double longspring. I will check the pan when get home and let you know for sure. As far as being cast or stamped jaws I am not sure. They are pretty old and have definitely been used. I got them from my dad who got them from his dad.  If they are going to be put to use again they may need some touch up work like notches filed, dogs squared up etc. I mainly used them as home decor. Since I do all my cat and coyote trapping with newer bridger #3 4coils. Pappy- has first dibs since he contacted me first. I'll go through my traps tonight though and may be able to come up with a few more. Thanks for looking guys.
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 12:18:15 am »
Here the pictures of the traps. They are #2 victor double longsprings. Im not sure how to tell if they are cast jaws or stamped jaws.
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 02:50:32 am »
Looks like maybe some of both cast and stamped. If the edges of the jaws are sharp they are stamped. If they are more rounded and textured like a dutch oven they are cast.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 02:57:19 am »
Justin- after reading your post and looking at the edges i am thinking they are stamped because they have pretty square edges. Just slightly dulled from use. Thanks for the info though. I learn something new everyday on this site!
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 07:46:48 am »
What length/width Osage stave would you want and how old ? Bark on or off ? Kind of busy right now till the IBO world is over but if you don't make a deal with twistedlimbs then I would be interested, Don't let me stand in the way of any other trade ,especially for someone that is going to use them,I just want them for the wall. :) :) Thanks for the pictures. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 12:41:39 am »
The traps pictured have been set aside for Pappy.
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Catnapper

Re: old traps FT........( they have been spoken for)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 04:41:59 am »
Still have these traps for trade....deal never went through as i was not contacted to ship the traps so they are still up for grabs...i would also trade for some cane or bamboo matched shafts, if anyone has other ideas i am open to options!! thanks for looking!
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Ifrit617

Re: old traps FT........( still up for grabs )
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 09:19:22 pm »
My grandpa who moved into a nursing home recently had a bunch of those in his garage. They were in great condition. Now I wish I grabed them cause they sure were nice.

good luck on the trade.

Jon

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 09:44:36 pm »
After reading this post " it reminded me " I have several of these, I found in the attic of the house I purchased several years ago.
They were hanging on nails in the rafters.
Can anyone shed some light on the history of these traps?
Johnny
in Texas

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 11:08:35 pm »
Well I found one at the moment, I know I have a box with several more around somewhere.
This one is a number 1 . Not sure if it is cast or stamped.
Johnny
in Texas