Author Topic: Future Bows  (Read 19461 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Future Bows
« on: July 01, 2011, 01:38:27 am »
A friend of mine at work mentioned he was clearing his property of bodark (osage).  I asked if I could come by and look at it.  O my word, never have I seen so many straight osage trees in one place.  Gus is coming up on Saturday and we'll take 2 Stihl's to these babies.  I'm quite sure we can exceed the 2000lb load limit on my trailer in the first tree.  He said I could stack what we didn't have room for there at his place and get it later.  And, it gets better.  Every single tree species in his woods is a potential bow.  There's osage, pecan, hackberry, slippery elm, post oak and juniper.  Unbelievably, every tree is dead straight, because this property was a thicket, and the owner cleared most of the trees out, leaving the straightest.  It's like a park, but he hates the bodark fruit and thorns.  Here are the best 5 trees  and also the first trees I took pictures of, before I quit looking as I knew that was far more than we could handle.  That last pair of trees...elm on the left, osage on the right...both trees are about 50' tall and the osage has about a 30' straight trunk section.  Unbelievable.  Best of all, he has a tractor and told me to cut out what I wanted and he'd drag the remainder with the tractor to his burn piles, I don't even have to clean up!!  It just doesn't get any better with bow wood.  To quote Pappy, Life Is Good!

George

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:47:08 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Weylin

Re: Future Bows
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 01:42:03 am »
Wow! :o That ought to keep you busy for a while. That is a good score.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 02:15:39 am »
Egad!!!

George, that is Beautiful!!!

Guess I should bring the Two gallon can of chainsaw mix...   ;D

Loading up tonight, heading to Kurvin in the morning.
Should be at your casa around 07:00 Saturday morning.

Not sure I will be able to sleep tonight...  ::)
Its almost like the night before a big offshore fishing trip or maybe a top notch dove hunt...

-Gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 02:38:20 am »
I'm quite sure we can exceed the 2000lb load limit on my trailer in the first tree. 

I've got a tandem axle with a 7000 lb load limit...    ;D
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:10:43 am »
Looks like bow wood heaven!! Great find George....I thought your wife said you had enough bow wood...LOL

Jon

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 03:44:43 am »
Wow bow wood central!!! And I believe that strightarrow is correct so if you need to find a good home for some of that gold I guess I could be so kind to help you out O:) boy I wish I was closer. I have a hungry stihl and I would love to through a hand in for all the advice you have given me....have fun ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:39:05 am »
Guys,

Breakfast is at 7am at my place on Saturday, biscuits and gravy (sausage from the pig I got last time at the lease).  Bring that tandem axle Mark and your workin clothes.  Gus and Cipriano are coming, and i suspect we can cut more osage, pecan and hackberry in an hour than we can use in 2 years.  My back hurts just thinkin about it.  PM me for directions if you want to join the fray.

Yes, my wife gave me some grief about all that wood coming home.  But, when I told her we could stack and store some over there, she thought it'd be better to have it at home. :o   You should see her stash of quilting fabric.  She was just giving me a hard time back when I made that post I'm sure.  She's a wonderful lady.  Wait till the guys taste her biscuits and gravy....

George
St Paul, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:01:22 am »
Hot diggity d!#$  Looks like you won a GOLDEN ticket to Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory  :D

And I feel your "pain"  ;D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 09:55:36 am »
I was waiting for the "And then I woke up" moment.
Pencil me in for one of each ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 10:05:53 am »
Good looking bunch of trees,Last picture qustionable but the rest look to be very nice stuff. It is always hard to say till you put the saw to it, all Osage dose not a good bow come. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 10:13:48 am »
You got it Del.  Just for giggles I'll see what it would cost to send a 200lb green osage log across the pond.  OK, 200lb, 6'x12" diameter osage log...Texas to the UK via FedEx, $1265.  Yikes!  Guess we should let it dry first?? 8)

Yes Pappy, we won't know till they're on the ground and even then it'll be the first split that'll begin to tell the tale.  I'm sure not used to seeing straight osage though.  :D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 10:20:53 am »
Dany George. Looks like you hit the jackpot for sure! I just love the raw materials point in this hobby. But why does it always have to be in July :P ::)?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 10:50:08 am »
Good for you, George. Looks like some good staves there. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 11:31:16 am »
   SWEETTTT now the work starts. Looks like its going to be easy to get to. CUT IT ALL you know the old saying you got to cut hay while the suns shineing.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 12:06:28 pm »
Guys,

Breakfast is at 7am at my place on Saturday, biscuits and gravy (sausage from the pig I got last time at the lease).  Bring that tandem axle Mark and your workin clothes.  Gus and Cipriano are coming, and i suspect we can cut more osage, pecan and hackberry in an hour than we can use in 2 years.  My back hurts just thinkin about it.  PM me for directions if you want to join the fray.

Yes, my wife gave me some grief about all that wood coming home.  But, when I told her we could stack and store some over there, she thought it'd be better to have it at home. :o   You should see her stash of quilting fabric.  She was just giving me a hard time back when I made that post I'm sure.  She's a wonderful lady.  Wait till the guys taste her biscuits and gravy....

George

Ugh...If I didn't have family coming into town tonight I'd be there with the trailer and two chainsaws.  I don't think my wife would go for me leaving her to entertain my brother's family all day.   :(
Mark
Lindale, TX