Author Topic: Sudbury bow mention in Peabody Museum Newsletter  (Read 3911 times)

Offline snedeker

Sudbury bow mention in Peabody Museum Newsletter
« on: July 04, 2011, 01:35:44 pm »
Hi. 

About six years ago, I sent an email to the Peabody Museum requesting detailed pics of the Sudbury Bow.  I got no response.  Last month, I got an email and a call from a staffer there saying that they were going to have small story about it in an upcoming newsletter, that it is the specimen which generates the most requests for info in all their collections.  They asked me some questions and put in there - although I am far from the world's expert on these matters.

here is the link

http://www.peabody.harvard.edu/node/707/?utm_content=davethebowman%40yahoo.com&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=%26nbsp%3B%20More...&utm_campaign=Inside%20the%20Peabody%20Museum%20-%20July#bow

I never did built a Sudbury type - never got around to it, which is a shame, because it would be cool to have had one to show them.

I am still making some bows, although much less than before.  With the economic situation, my archaeological consulting business has been under pressure and life has got a bit Real.

Dave

Offline Strongbow

Re: Sudbury bow mention in Peabody Museum Newsletter
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:30:34 pm »
Just curious are those tips reflexed or deflexed?  I would assume they are reflexed but the video isn't detailed enough to tell which way the nocks are facing.  Thanks for posting.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 04:52:19 pm »
The bow just has set from being left strung and/or hard use

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 06:36:43 pm »
Thanks for the link!

Would like to know what kind of wood could handle that triangular cross section, with that edge on the back?
Or may thats the belly?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:43:18 pm by fusizoli »

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:20:04 pm »
Its said to be Hickory I believe.  Yeah, it would have been nice to have more detail in the imagery

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:56:50 pm »
 Thanks for the link, Dave. It's good to see you back.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:30:08 am »
There seems to be some confusion as to the shape of this bow. It is essentially similar to a stretched narrow paddle bow. There are no edges on the baclk etc. The sharp corner is  a side edge.
 The wood can clearly be seen as hickory, even after all these years.
 Hamilton's book showed a very good picture of the book and my brother has viewed the bow at the museum.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 12:56:09 am »
Thanks for posting this Dave and good to see you are still about!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline smoke

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:48:10 am »
Great post.  I visited the Peabody a couple of years ago - and the only thing I wanted to see was the Sudbury.  They had a nice display and it was worth the admission to see it.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 10:46:10 pm »
Anybody have an idea of what the cross section stats are from the middle of the bow?  Width/thickness at 4 or so inch intervals?

Dave

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 06:30:34 am »
" Haskell frequently sends the Sudbury bow dimensions to bowmakers."

Perhaps someone here did recieve the dimensions given by the museum, and would be willing to share them here? I guess most of us have the dimensions given in TBB2, but it would be interesting to have something more accurate.