Author Topic: June Self Bow Winners Tied!  (Read 7105 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
June Self Bow Winners Tied!
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:38:43 pm »
Congratulations to Derek Hutchison from Harlow UK and to Will H. from Jonesboro AR for Winning June Self BOM!!

Derek's
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,26498.0.html

Will's
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25735.30.html

From Derek:
67.5"ntn 40# @ 28"
Not sure the pics do it justice, but here ya go. The last pic will hopefully reveal where it gets the name :)
It's not 100% finished yet, I may add an arrow plate, but I think I like the grip bare wood. Hard to take good pics, the white back tens to bleach out, and I was too impatient to spend ages setting up arty shots.
That bit of wood was so nearly overlooked. I had a tree surgeon bring over some Yew logs, most were no good, I sorted out 6 and then saw that runty twisted bit with a huge scar up one side where all the sapwood had been worn away where it had been rubbing against another branch.
"Oh I might as well have that too, there might just be a character bow in it" I said :)
Guess I was right.

Comments on this fine Bow!:
"Looks great.  I love the grain pattern....good job!" -beetlebailey1977
"Oh man....you just made choosing for june BOM VERY tough to choose. You did that stave justice and made it even better than it should've been. That big horizontal knot is ridiculous that it holds to the strain. Most woods with that type of knot wood explode.
dude...that bow is gorgeous and I love the centershot front profile drawing the bow. I am soooooo full of yew envy. Im dying to get my hands on some and this is not helping my sickness."
-blackhawk
"Exactly the type and quality of bow we've come to expect from you Del...Killer work.  (The colors of that Yew's belly is sooo beautiful.)"  -LeeSlikkers
"Great looking bow Del. You pulled it off nicely with a very challenging piece of wood.  It's hard to compare anything to a nice yew character bow. Congratulations!"  -Keenan

From Will:
Well here she is!  55#@27", 64"NTN, 1 1/2"W to mid-limb then tapering to 3/8" nocks. The tips were about 1 1/4" in front of the handle when I spliced the billets together. After shooting in the bow they stand dead even with the handle. I finished her out with a beaver tail handle and strike plate and some red lettering... This has got to be the best shooting bows I've made! This thing really puts arrows where I want and FAST too!!   I'll have to wait till my wife gets home to post full draw but here's what I got so far...Thanks for looking! :) I ran close to 1000 arrows through it after sanding then burnished the whole bow with an antler the other day. Since then Ive put two coats of Tru-Oil on and MAN is she looking purty!  Its amazing to me that those old rotten looking fence posts I pulled out of the ground finished out with such incredible grain! BURIED GOLD I TELL YA!!!!

Comments on this great bow!

"Spectacular!!I'm sure if old Bill Shakesphere were still around, he would write a sonnet about that bow!!!  And wow!! For a young un you sure can work wood"  -criveraville
"Incredible!!! I think it is awesome taking a piece of wood that has been cut for and used for something else - fence post, shovel handel, house frame, etc, and fashioning it into a bow that will take down game. Can't beat that."  -NTProf
"WOW,if that piece of wood could talk about all the stories from 1911 that would be some thing...great work on a piece of history...i love the tiller and finish work...MAN,from stagecoaches to airplanes..."  -blacktail
"I can honestly say this is one of the nicest bows I've seen. Great work, to think inside of that old rotting wood post was that bow waiting to come out. Great work. "  -Stingray45

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:18:57 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: June Self Bow Winners Tied!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 04:58:12 pm »
Thanks for the votes guys!
Great to win at last and a pleasure to share it with Will's fine bow.
Gongrat's Will that's a great build along in your post and 100yr old fence post certainly made a worthy joint winner.
I'm going to get a chance to try splicing some Osage soon, so your build along will come in handy.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 05:20:23 pm »
Congrats to both of you guys on your well deserved wins!

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 05:25:55 pm »
 :o WoW!! :o Thanks for the votes!! Del, its an honor to share BOM with you brother! Your work is always inspiring!! Ive dreamt of winning BOM for a long time, my thanks to everyone on here for sharing their knowledge and being so kind and supportive! I have made leaps and bounds in my bow building skills since participating here on PA. You guys are the best! Again THANKS!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ::) ;) :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:12:15 pm »
nice wins guys, this was a tough month to win,had a little bit of everything. maybe next month. to lose to bows of this caliber is an honor.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:25:40 pm by peshikthe »
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:32:51 pm »
nice bows both of you , i picked one winner !

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »
Ha....this is too perfect. Because It came down to these two bows and I was torn which one to vote for. Sweeeeet....they both win. A win win situation.

Congrats will n derek. These are awesome bows.  :D

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:55:54 pm »
Excellent tie both are very deserving wins Congrats to you both.

I also voted on one of these and was a very tough call between the two.  Both were dificult staves and are very well made!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:50:26 pm by Bow Nut »