Author Topic: gorilla glue strong enough for linen backing  (Read 4009 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

gorilla glue strong enough for linen backing
« on: July 11, 2011, 06:14:26 pm »
Hello, I haven't posted or been on in a while. Is white Gorilla wood glue strong enough to glue on a linen backing? I have yellow Elmer's wood glue, but I have less of it and it's more expensive.
Thanks
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline toomanyknots

Re: gorilla glue strong enough for linen backing
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:24:56 pm »
Woah woah woah.... ... ..   .......................woah. :) Probably the yellow glue is strong enough, but titebond 2 or 3 is the way to go. That white glue is a pain when it gets wet, it turns white spots all over it and it almost melts aways with just a couple rain drops. Don't do the white glue whatever ya do.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:41:23 pm »
Gorilla glue will foam up. It may work but it won't be at all pretty. It will need binding in some way or the glue will foam up and push the backing away.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:03 pm »
Another vote for Titebond.  Either 2 or 3.  I use 3 a lot.  Come to think of it, Titebond 3 can be used for quite a bit.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 07:58:19 pm »
Ya I use titebond 3 way too much for way too many things. I use it to glue fletches on my arrows sometimes. Takes forever compared to super glue. I have no idea why I did that. I use it to coat my whipping on the fletches to keep my whipping from getting damaged. Looks uglier than hell. Again I have no idea why I do that. Used it to sinew the other day. The other day some piece of fake tile fell off my counter top. So it got the titebond. My old boots fell apart from just being old and cheap. So they got the titebond. I think I have a problem...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:08:52 pm »
the white gorrilla glue is like tb2, don't foam up and is semi water resistant, I've used it before, but it's about the same price around here, so I use tb2 most of the time, most all of your carpenters glue are at least the same as tite bond, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:24:55 pm »
I think I saw a guy glue up a laminate bow with gorilla glue on youtube once before. So I tried it with a bamboo backing, Haven't started with it on the tiller stick & pulley system yet but I'll let ya know how it goes, it seems to be holding pretty tight so far and it's holding the reflex I glued in pretty well.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:41:45 pm »
the white gorrilla glue is like tb2, don't foam up and is semi water resistant, I've used it before, but it's about the same price around here, so I use tb2 most of the time, most all of your carpenters glue are at least the same as tite bond, Bub
This has been my experience also. The white gorilla glue is great and plenty strong for a linen back.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 02:51:30 pm »
Well that's good news. Thank you all very much
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"