Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off  (Read 83962 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Red Oak Board Bow Cook Off
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 11:40:01 pm »
Aww I have a couple red oak boards seasoning...I think they are ready for this.

I'm in

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 11:58:52 pm »
No worries Matt. Im sure you'll still outdue me. I only made one red oak board bow and it was backed. It was/still is my first shooter. I was actually shooting it today. Good times and feelings whenever I pick that ole dog up.

Awesome aznboi ...looking forward to see what ya come up with.

I better get my butt in gear and hit the lumberyards to find me the fastest board out there. Im already plotting,planning,and cooking up my recipe. Anybody care to share there's?...lol ;D

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 11:59:17 pm »
There will so not be a shelf on my bow. If I can't shoot worth crap with a shelf,  they won't be able to either!  :laugh:

"Awe..come on toomany. You've been working lots of red oak boards lately. You'd prob kick our butts. I know mine at least."

Ha, yeah right, thats funny. All I ever make with red oak boards are pyramid bows and modified pyramid bows. I don't even remember the last time I had to really tiller a red oak board bow, I'm lazier than heck and just let the pyramid taper tiller itself for me. lol
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:02:46 am by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline johnston

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 12:03:34 am »
You fellers are right on the length if we are pulling to 28".
blackhawk I have not put out any effort just yet, I can still hang 'em so far but thanks for the tips. Will be culling soon. Nobody needs 3 dozen red oak boards anyway ;D

Off the hand ?

Lane

Online RyanY

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 12:46:40 am »
There was a red oak challenge in 2007 over on paleoplanet. Only one person sent their bow and it performed excellently (probably would have won anyways). In order to keep the challenge consistent I think the arrow shot from each bow should be 10 grains per pound. This way no bow is at an advantage or disadvantage due to draw weight. Also to be considered would be string material and shooting strategy. Bows should be warmed up with several draws before being shot and several shots should be taken with several archers and their averages being taken to be as sure as possible for consistency.

I'd definitely be interested in participating but I'd like to be sure that the contest is as fair as possible. About time I prove I can smoke you guys!  >:D ;)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 12:57:07 am »
Ya'll mind if a novice gets in on this

Online RyanY

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 01:34:18 am »
Ken, I hope you don't mean yourself. I think everyone should do it.

I'd love to see a documentation of everyone's take on a red oak board bow. I think it would show how awesome bow making is that we can all take the same material and come up with so many different products. The competition is just a plus.  :)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 01:37:29 am »
...In order to keep the challenge consistent I think the arrow shot from each bow should be 10 grains per pound. This way no bow is at an advantage or disadvantage due to draw weight. Also to be considered would be string material and shooting strategy. Bows should be warmed up with several draws before being shot and several shots should be taken with several archers and their averages being taken to be as sure as possible for consistency.

I'd definitely be interested in participating but I'd like to be sure that the contest is as fair as possible. About time I prove I can smoke you guys!  >:D ;)
Ryoon:  No offense please but, I saw that BH wanted to keep this simple.  Grains per pound and all, I hear you but, BH also mentioned 50# bows +/- 2#.  Isn't that close enough?  This isn't an IBO shoot; its really for fun, charity and maybe a little bit of bragging rights.  If 50 bows are entered, it would take a great amount of time to warm up the bows with several draws.  If I might offer a compromise.  Of course its Blackhawk's gig but, how 'bout if three shots are taken from a fresh strung bow.  The three shots are then averaged with the results being the final score.

Ken75:  I would assume that anyone willing to cook up a red oak board bow is eligible.  Some of us have made or broken several bows yet never attempted a red oak board bow....myself included. 

Just sayin'
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 01:40:56 am »
I think there should be at least 10 shots average, to get even close to a consistency.

"In order to keep the challenge consistent I think the arrow shot from each bow should be 10 grains per pound. This way no bow is at an advantage or disadvantage due to draw weight"

I agree 100%.

"Also to be considered would be string material and shooting strategy."

I would think that they should all be shot the same by the same person, and of course the bowyer provides the string material so if you want fast flight it should be on you to fork out 40 bucks.

"I'd definitely be interested in participating but I'd like to be sure that the contest is as fair as possible. About time I prove I can smoke you guys!"

You know, I think that it would come down to design and quality of your piece of red oak wood that will make the bow that wins, period. Whether your piece should be dense as to take low set and be strong in compression, or light as to be fast and low mass, that is something I can't make my mind up about very easy,  :laugh:. You can only tiller so carefully to a point, and I'm sure everyone on here is very good and tillering carefully. Only a design can effect performance enough to make a difference enough to smoke everybody else's bow. The design will decide the winner IMO.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:53:58 am by toomanyknots »

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 01:49:45 am »
This should be good. I like a good Red oak board bow. What's the deadline?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 01:54:48 am »
This sounds really fun, mostly because I've only ever shot one bow not made by me. That combined with the fact that I don't have a chronograph and my arrows are nothing special means I really don't have a good way to gauge how my bows perform. Mind you, durability is my prime objective so this will be fun shifting gears and focusing on performance.

I picked up a couple of boards today and will start working on a couple different designs.

I don't think there should be a restriction on length since draw weight and draw length pretty much dictate a 62" - 72" bow. If someone wants to make and ship a 80" bow that's their prerogative, though I may question their choice ;)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 01:59:06 am »
Can fabric backings be allowed since the general consensus in the bowyer community is that fabric backings don't add much to performance and are generally only for protection of the back?  :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:42:37 am by toomanyknots »

Online RyanY

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 02:02:51 am »
Matt, I understand but I also don't think it's would take too much to make it fair as well. I wouldn't worry about strings since that would be too much but as for warming up the bow and taking many shots I think it's the only way to get a fair reading for each bow as well as make sure the thing is durable. Even if it isn't kept to thost standards I think I'll still try and participate  because it would be charitable.

Toomanyknots, It's definitely going to come down to the design. My last bow had some really narrow tips. I may push it on this one. ;D

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 05:01:21 am »
I just see what my bow can do compared to others...I have no chrono nor know a place near me that has one so speed to me irrelevant as I have no other bow to compare to besides the compounds my friends have. 

But I hate those contraptions.  Too fragile for me.

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 07:21:09 am »
Ryan several shots will be fired first before sending it thru a chrony to check its durability. Remember this is a judging factor as well. If your bow is only 1.5" wide or under with only say 14" of bending limb and the tiller is off then it will score lower on the durability factor as the bow wood have a higher tendency to fret after a few hundred shots. Yes the same person will do all the chrony shooting trying to maintain the exact timed pull everytime and the speed will be averaged out from three shots. And yes the same arrow will be used for all the bows. Ill try to keep it a 450 grain arrow.

Sweet Ken. Can't wait to see yours. Should be good knowing you got a couple known fast designs in your pocket.

Sorry toomany. No fabric glued on the limbs. Dropping the weight does help lessen the strain. And should be very feasible to make. Besides,that's part of the challenge and fun of this whole thing. And no one else has asked to use a backing. So I gotta say no. Sorry. I hope you'll still participate.

Hobow. Ill push the deadline (and re edit) back to September 15. That way it gives a person two months to make a bow and have it shipped BY the deadline date. Which should be plenty of time for all the folks that wanna participate. Cus it really don't take to long to brew one of these up.

Wow guys. This things really taken off. I wasn't expecting that. Looks like a couple buddies and I are gonna be testing and shooting bows ALL day. Oh boy,sounds like a lot of work..I mean FUN.  ;D

In the next day or so ill pm everyone who has said they will participate for conformation and a mailing address. And to personally answer any more questions you guys might have.

Cheers guys....Chris :D