Author Topic: wool hunting pants wanted  (Read 4230 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
wool hunting pants wanted
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:23:03 am »
I need two pair of wool pants for my Colorado Hunt in early Sept.  Anyone got any to trade or know where i can get some?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: wool hunting pants wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:27:30 am »
 Pat; There's a lot of them for sale or trade on Tradgangs Classified's.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:54:21 am »
Pat I highly reccomend the Gallatin Wool series from Columbia. They are about 80 bucks a pair and are very durable. I have abused mine for 5 years with not a thread coming loose. I use mine up here for almost 3 months a year.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 10:56:47 am »
Or you can have mine for a genuine PAT B bow.....;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:57:03 am »
I have a pair of grey Woolrich "bibs" also...not sure what size you need Pat?

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:18:50 pm »
34" waist should work fine for and 30" length.   I very rarely need wool for most of my hunting so I can't justify $80 per pair. I want these for my upcoming Colorado hunt. Six years ago when I went out there I found German military surplus pants for $9.95 a pair on line but either they shrunk(  ::) ) or something else happened 'cause they don't fit anymore. I have been searching sites for military surplus but they are pretty limited  plus I guess most folks in European military are pretty small because of the sizes offered.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 12:26:45 pm »
Not sure what PD has as an option but if his don't pan out these might work for you Pat.  I know the 34" waist wouldn't be a problem but they may be a touch shorter than 30"....you might be able to let them ride a bit lower since they are bibs with "spenders"  :laugh:

Let me know, ok?
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »
Check out ebay.  I've had several pairs on there on my watch list.  I'm w/ P.D., the gallatin wool is good.  It's a blend, though. I use the bibs for cold weather hunting, likewise, not a fray, but a whole bunch of stick tights and burrs left on from season to season.  I'll look for a pair of pants I have too, but they may be smaller than 34" waist...that's why I don't know if I have them anymore.   ;) ::)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 03:06:04 am »
Lee, I know Bibbs will be too hot for me. I have an "ugly brown wool sweater" that was suggested to me back in '06 for that hunt plus other layers so plain wool pants is what I'm looking for.  Thanks anyway!  ;)
  Pearlie, I'd take you up on that but I have 2 bows ahead of you and haven't thought about either lately. It will be winter before I really get into bow building season...and 2 trade bows then.  ::)
  I'll check out ebay for now. Thanks!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 10:12:45 pm »
 Pat, which way did those $9.99 wool pants shrink, in the waist or length? If it was in the waist, I'd be interested in taking them off your hands. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 01:50:46 am »
Eddie, we got rid of them a few years ago. I ordered 2 new pair of Swiss wool army pants from Sportsman's Guide last night for $31.45 for the both...shipping included.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 01:22:33 pm »
Pat, I purchased a pair of military green wool pants at DELKS SURPLUS MILITARY STORE, 336-629-0991. They are near Asheboro North Carolina. I'm thinking they were about 25-30 bucks. They look like the green Woolrich or Cabelas pants.

In early September the last two years I have been in Colorado, the wool pants were not needed. The first year a light smart wool under liner was plenty. Last year it was 50 at night and 80 mid day. I know it can be snowing and cold, but I would go for the smart wool under liner or longjohns and wear regular camo pants..
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes