Author Topic: blackberrying- urban foraging  (Read 2237 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
blackberrying- urban foraging
« on: July 29, 2011, 01:56:51 am »
Howdy Folks,  I had some spare time the yesterday and decided to gather some blackberries.  Actually it's something I do as often as possible from July 1 to September.  My favorite patch is growing up in the fence line between a veterinary hospital and a church fellowship hall and right in the middle of downtown Fremont,CA.   Nobody else seems to prize them the way I do, as I've never seen anybody else picking them.  Occasionally I look at my arms after picking and see at least one reason why others prefer to buy their berries in little plastic baskets.   It seems I can't get through a picking session without making my arms look like I've been wrasslin' bobcats.   Here's a quick picture of the haul..... 1/2 hour and 4 lbs of berries.     
As a bonus my favorite bakery is just around the corner so I picked up some fresh bread as well.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline ZanderPommo

Re: blackberrying- urban foraging
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 02:39:28 am »
nice haul!

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:35:03 am »
Yeah man those are good for pies jam and jelly wine and just plain eatin. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:09:39 am »
Pour milk over them and sprinkle sugar on and you will have the best dish in Fremont!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:10:23 am »
Nice haul,I love blackberrys.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 02:03:24 pm »
Thanks for looking.  I certainly have no problem coming up with ways to eat them, though all your suggestions are good.   I think the neatest part is that they grow right in the middle of town.   Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:31:38 am »
When I first saw the title I thought it was about using you Blackberry phone in town... No kidding. Nice bunch of berries there. I love em with Blue Bell Vanilla Bean ice ream. .   And this thread reminds me of Checkov's story, "Boisenberries." For some odd reason..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 04:31:11 am »
Hi Cipriano,  Checkov was never one of my favorite authors, so I'm not familiar with "Boysenberries".  I may have to look it up.   Ron