Author Topic: Anybody do any picklin'?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Anybody do any picklin'?
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:42:04 am »
I like to pickle, my family eats a lot of pickles and when we go to a pot luck, we usually bring pickles.  Dill Pickles that is.  Been makin' for about 10 years now, and I got lucky and my aunt called me up Saturday morning said she had four bags of cucumbers for me.  I went over and got em and 5 hours later we had 36 1/2 quarts of fresh dill pickles.  Thought I'd share, make4s me happy lookin' at em and thought there might be some swapin' of recipes.  Here'a a pic of my opossum pickles.  In honor of Dolly Freeds book.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Anybody do any picklin'?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:41:38 am »
I put up 11 pints(one broke in the cooker) of tomatilla salsa yesterday and plan to make more as the tomatillos make more. This is our first year to grow tomatillos and our 4 bushes are going gangbusters. Taste pretty good too. Salsa verde in most Mex restaurants.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:14:36 pm »
Both times my wife was w/ child she couldn't eat tomatos w/o getting sick.  She used green salsa for an alternative and we really got fond of it.  I'm not sure we have the heat here for a good tomatilla harvest, don't they need a lot of heat?  We make tomato sauce too for the winter.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:24:27 pm »
I've never pickled and I don't have the equipment on hand but I think my grandma would loan us hers.  I've always wanted to try making my own, do you have any good recipes you'd like to share?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~