Author Topic: ipe board.  (Read 7626 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: ipe board.
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 01:02:25 am »
Adam beat me to it :)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2014, 04:51:32 pm »
I forgot about that first pic.  How can I fill that piece?  Its at least 2   mills deep.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline Jesse

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2014, 09:56:39 pm »
I've had poor luck with elm backings. Very prone to lifting a splinter. I've filed it with bamboo as a secondary and not very good backing material.
no experience with elm as a backing. I have a nice elm selfbow. I have a love hate relationship with bamboo as a backing.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 10:14:30 pm »
My first thought was what about a plug or gorges patch where the knots are...anyone done this with Ipe?  I've heard of gluing problems because of the oil, but it should work right?  Either way looks like you're getting that thing ready to bend, good deal!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 11:37:20 pm »
I forgot about that first pic.  How can I fill that piece?  Its at least 2   mills deep.

Looks to be inside the handle, so that spot won't see any stress.  You can fill it with anything, or nothing ;) An easy fix would be to pack it with fine sawdust and then soak some crazy glue in.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 09:22:49 pm »
This is only on the long string but can I get a tiller check please? And Im sorry about the pic. But its was the best I could do.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 10:16:13 pm »
someone with more experience will offer better tillering advice, but have you see the tillering gizmo? You may need a different color of pencil on the ipe, but it will let you know where you have flat spots and places with more bend than the rest of the limb.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23134.0.html

Just my thoughts, trust someone else's advice more, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I like the bend in the left limb better than the right, its a nice curve, a bit more of the bend happens midlimb. The right limb coming out of the fade to mid limb looks to me to be bending more than the rest of the limb. I would scrape mid to outer limb on the right until it gets a more even bend to it. On the left focus more on inner and outter thrids until it evens up with the other limb. After I felt I had enough bend to get it to a low brace I would do so, probably not far off from that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:44:05 pm by Wiley »

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 10:21:02 pm »
someone with more experience will offer better tillering advice, but have you see the tillering gizmo? You may need a different color of pencil, but it will let you know where you have flat spots and places with more bend than the rest of the limb.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23134.0.html

I have one...I have been using it on this bow.  But your right I do need a different color or an artist charcoal pencil.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 11:34:48 pm »
The right limb is hinging at the fade.  Don't pull it any farther until you get the outer 2/3rds of that limb bending more, or you'll get a bunch of set at the fade, which is the worst place for it to take set.