Author Topic: Osage English Style Longbow  (Read 9335 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Osage English Style Longbow
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:52:00 am »
Here's one I finished for my brother-in-law from a slender belly split.  I've always had trouble with D-bellied English style longbows.  I'm not completely happy with this one, but overcame some problems I've had on previous attempts.  I would have like to dialed in the tiller a little bit better, but I'll let him shoot it in and then tweak it.  Anyway, it's 70" ntn, 52#@28", has zebrewood tip overlays, and goatskin lacing for a handle wrap (please pardon the ugly and out-of-place floppy rest!).  Thanks for looking!

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline wvarcher

Re: Osage English Style Longbow
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:08:27 pm »
Nice one, 4est.  Thats almost 70 inches of working limb to tiller!  I think the tiller looks good.   

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:20:22 pm »
Sorry 4est but I don't see anything wrong with that tiller job. I have a piece of osage that is screaming ELB and I recon I gotta get after it. I hope I can make it that nice. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 01:20:57 pm »
Dang you perfectionist types are hard on yourselves.  ;D 4est I have seen and admired alot of your work and that is a beauty. of course I'm partial to ELB. and I agree with WV. tiller is sweet as far as I can tell.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 03:31:51 pm »
Drawn tiller and strung profiles look pretty durn good to me.  However, I was wondering if there is much in the way of handshock with an OO ELB ??  The wood is very dense and therefore could easily be heavy towards the limb ends.  Anyone care to comment?  I've made some backed Ipe ELBs and fortunately have had to use very little wood at the limb ends, but even then I got a bit of hand shock.  Most probably my tillering..... ::)
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 06:02:25 pm »
Looks fine to me.
That back is V smooth and pretty and it's taken no set.
How does she shoot?
Del
(and yes, the floppy rest should earn you a ducking in the village pond ;))
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 09:13:28 pm »
I like it very much. I have one real similar to yours that I shoot allot. What are your dimensions as far as width and thickness at your handle area. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 11:13:30 pm »
Very nice clean work. Excellent !

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 01:03:15 am »
Drawn tiller and strung profiles look pretty durn good to me.  However, I was wondering if there is much in the way of handshock with an OO ELB ??  The wood is very dense and therefore could easily be heavy towards the limb ends.  Anyone care to comment?  I've made some backed Ipe ELBs and fortunately have had to use very little wood at the limb ends, but even then I got a bit of hand shock.  Most probably my tillering..... ::)

I am wondering the same thing about handshock.  Tim Baker wrote about this in a section of the TBB.  He seemed to think that the handshock would disappear if the limb tips are narrowed sufficiently, no matter how  heavy/dense the wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 01:12:39 am »
Very nice ELB Curt. Clean!!!
WVArcher, I've built a few osage ELB style bows that ranged from 45# to 60# and had very little hand shock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 04:56:25 am »
Looks fine from where im sitting  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 11:22:36 am »
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.  Regarding hand shock:  It pulls and releases smooth as butter and quiet as a mouse.  It doesn't appear so in some of the pictures, but the tips are thin and narrow (less than a 1/2".)  Also, shooting an arrow in the 10 grains-per-pound range really helps.  It transfers more of the energy that would be wasted (felt as hand shock) into the arrow.

I think folks often have trouble with hand shock on long English style longbows because of the long working limbs.  It's much harder to get nearly 70" of working limb to draw and recover smoothly than, say, 58".  Just my $0.02.

Del:  Yeah, that rest is an eyesore...kind of like putting lipstick on a pig, only in the reverse.  Nonetheless, with all the heat we've had here the past month, a dunk in the village pond would be more than welcomed! 

Thanks again, all.  :)
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 12:19:40 am »
i think it looks awesome.you did a great job buddy,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 12:30:08 am »
I have a OO ELB in the "corner of shame" that came in at 55# with handshock that not only loosened fillings in my teeth but also loosened my bowels, caused a heart murmer, and shattered the toenails on my left foot.  I started shaving down the width of the limbs from midlimb to tips and re-shooting until it hit 45 lbs with whippy tips and it got worse!!!  AND I WAS SHOOTING 725 GRAIN ARROWS!

Congratulations on turning out a beautiful piece of work, very well done.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 01:11:25 am »
Dude: That is SWEEEEET BOW.  I have always wanted to see an Osage Longbow.
Don't be so hard on yourself. Not a thing wrong with that tiller.
I have to wonder if primitive men actually put much emphasis on tiller.
I mean sure it helps but if it bends perfectly,
but if it has the poundage to drive home a razor sharp stone,
does it really matter if it doesn't have a " perfect tiller" ?
Johnny
in Texas