Author Topic: corned venison  (Read 3372 times)

Offline butch

corned venison
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:52:06 am »
has anyone tried corning tougher meat. we made some and it really tenderised with a nice  flavor. any new recipes would be great.  thanks.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: corned venison
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 02:37:59 pm »
Never corned. We have made pastrami from deer meat.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:51:28 pm »
 And nuggets pastrami recipe is good. :P I was going to try a dill pickle solution with venison and see how that worked. That is basicly what corned beef is.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kpete

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:25:44 am »
Yep,  corned venison, elk  is good.  I like it best cooked then chilled and sliced thin with rye bread and sweet hot mustard.
KPete

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23:44 am »
 I'm waiting for my curing salts to come from Morton's now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kpete

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 01:46:09 pm »
I have  used the recipes for corning from LL Bean Cookbook and a book called Alaska Cooking.  Both can be found in the Library.  both turned out well.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:13 am »
Thanks, Scott.  Corning is easy, not sure how front shoulder cuts will work because the individual muscle groups are encased with sinew, might prevent a real good penetration of the curing salts.

IF you do go ahead with front shoulder cuts make sure that you cut them in half across the grain so that the salts can travel deeper into the meat.

There is a lot of good information online, but check out your library for some of the older books on the subject.  One of my favorite quotes about the internet:  "The problem with online quotes is checking their accuracy", Thomas Jefferson.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 01:53:08 pm »
I have used the front shoulders, brisket area, etc.   Muscle group tissue is a bit of a struggle but not too bad.  Corning makes good use of these areas.   You can seperate the larger muscle groups before corning and the curing occurs faster.  The trim goes into the grinder for Brats!
I think if you try it you will enjoy it.   
Cheerio.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 06:41:35 pm »
Mmmm, venison brats....

Don't throw away that lower shank on the front legs either.  Saw thru them, gristle, bone and all.  Slice them in 1 1/2 inch thick shankes with the bone in.  Sear in really hot bacon grease, place them in a covered dish, red wine almost deep enough to hide them, cover with sliced onions and mushrooms, bake at 225 degrees for 5 hours without peeking inside.  Osso bucco!  The marrow in the middle of the bone is the very best part!

Offline Postman

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 01:01:14 pm »
great idea JW - can't believe my dego butt hasn't tried that yet!

Did a frozen round venison roast in a slow cooker the other day  so it was still med-rare in the center. Sliced it like lunchmeat, it was great.  Plan on trying this after marinating corned beef or pastrami style and adding some liquid smoke. Anybody ever try this?
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 04:27:34 pm »
Once I have the venison corned it usually goes in a pot with at least a quart of water for every pound of meat.  I toss in a small handfull of cracked black pepper, some bay leaves, coriander, and what have you for spices and pop it in the over at 200 degrees.  When the oven kicks on it will go up as high as 225, but it settles down to just around the boiling point.  This stays in the pot for at least 5 hours and during the last hour and a half I will add taters, corn on the cob, onions (whole), carrots, rutabegas, turnips, parsnips, or any other root veggies.  For the last 20 minutes I add a small cabbage cut into quarters.  Take the time to whop up some biscuits or cornbread and you will feast like the kings and queens.

Today opens archery deer season here.  High time to get me some raw materials!

Offline Kpete

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 12:57:45 am »
JW-I'll  be over!
That sounds really good.

I have cooked shanks as well.  I use garlic, and root veggies in the bottom of a Dutch oven.  Add red wine, or beef broth if you prefer.  Peal onions.  Then take a piece of wax paper and cover the meat and tuck it aroud the edges,  Bake a 375 and even elk shanks will be tender in less than 3 hours. Oh-crack the bones or saw as others have said.  Don't ask me why the wax paper works, but it surely does. Great with Lamb shanks as well.
Cracked pepper is a given too.