Author Topic: heavy incense cedar with lots of sinew.  (Read 12424 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
heavy incense cedar with lots of sinew.
« on: August 10, 2011, 04:00:50 am »
 I made this Miwok style hook nocked bow heavier than ones I made in the past and with a shorter draw. The bow is 45.5" ntn and draws 70# at 23" This is one of the best flight bows I have made to date. I would like to try it with a flight arrow. It cast the mock orange and oak foreshafted 30" arrow in the full draw picture 211 yards. I tested it with 8 other bows and this one and a juniper sinew bow were the strongest shooters.
 The bow is made of a stout branch of incense cedar with 4 layers of elk sinew. Working recurves. 3 ply sinew string with otter fur silencer. I included a picture of the branch I used. It takes a bit of searching and tree climbing skills to find the right branch. The branches grow with a sunward bend. I always use the top of the branch so it starts with a reflex.

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: heavy incense cedar with lots of sinew.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 06:10:08 am »
Cool little bow.awsome background on the money shot 8)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:32:08 am »
Cool bow,nice tiller.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:28:18 am »
Sweet lil shorty.

How heavy an arrow were you shooting? And how wide is your limbs?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:09:49 am »
Very nice bow Chuck, it looks powerful.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:34:15 am »
Awesome! excellent work Chuck.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 10:02:00 am »
Absolutely love this bow and this style of bow Chuck!  Very nice work on the tiller.

Is Incense Cedar related to Eastern Red Cedar or Juniper?  I love the looks of the heart wood on this wood.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:14:34 pm »
Thank you, and Blackhawk, the limbs are 1 5/8 above tha handle. 1 5/8 mid limb 6/8+ below the nock. Lemon shape cross section. The arrow weighs 28.2 grams.
 Lee, Incense cedar is a cedar, not a juniper. But it is not related to Alaskan or western cedar. It is of the genus calocedrus. The only calocedrus that grows wild in the Americas. The other 2 are Asian. It is very light .37 wsg. Have never tried it unbacked, but is one of the best compression wood I have used.

Offline randman

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:10:05 pm »
Great looking little bow. Thing looks powerful in your hand. So thick!
Thanks Chuck for the info on Calocedrus. As soon as I read it I looked it up and BINGO! I have been trying to identify a huge tree in the courtyard of an apartment building (in Seattle) that was cut down and ran through a chipper :'( I managed to rescue from the woodsmen 6 or 7 large (4"+ dia) reflexed branches. I thought I was gettin juniper cause the tree looks like a juniper but the Mahogany colored heartwood (when green, after moisture leaves it becomes more pinkish brown) and the beautiful smell told me it wasn't juniper. It smells more like cedar incense (not cedar chest - ERC- smell). The wet sap was more like an oil or resin, not really sticky at all. When I dry heated a still green piece to reflex a tip, the moisture in the wood turned to liquid oil and mass amounts flowed down the wood with an almost blood or plasma colored. The bark is different from juniper also. More like western red cedar bark, it peels off in great wide long pieces and you can strip out the innermost bark (like WRC) for basket strips and I have a lot of it. Hope to moisten it (to make it a little more flexible), cut it into strips and use it for handle wraps on the bows I get from the wood. I have a couple of 6' highly reflexed staves with not a single knot or pin in the sapwood. Several shorter ones with no knots either. The heartwood is probably as dense as yew. And that heavenly smell ::)
Do you think It should try using it without a backing with all that flawless back surface. I kind of thought of sinewing the shorter ones but the long ones may be ok. If you think about it, the 6'-7' pieces I have were the backstraps supporting 20' long-800lb horizontal (almost) branches so that sapwood should pretty strong, eh. The amount of natural reflex worries me more than anything. May be a bear to tiller.

And that poor beautiful tree ran through the chipper. Oh the Humanity! Such a waste of beautiful lumber (this was a 60' tree). I sure wish I could have saved more of it.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 10:17:25 pm »
Hey Randman, need any Osage  ;D >:D?

That wood sounds heavenly guys.  It is amazing how many gorgeous heat wood type trees you have on the West coast.  Yew, WRC, this stuff, etc.  Very cool.

Thanks for sharing all the info, love this kind of stuff.

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:41:46 pm »
very nice bow :D any chance of me getting a pc for a bow like that?  james

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 01:57:49 am »
Randman, lucky you, 7 branches. Do they split with no twist? I have made lots of bows like this. I started with small trunks then moved to branches and can say the branches are like a different (way better) wood. I got into these little bows while living in the bay area and seeing them in museums. Some of the most well made bows native American bows I have ever seen. There is lots of info about these bows. The Miwok gets the credit  but they were said to be made also by the Western Mono (Paiute).  I stayed true to the info I got and made these while still green ( this worked great in Cali but the ones I brought back to Utah to make warped bad till I got a humidifier in a room of our house and kept it over 50%). 
 I always just figured they would not hold up without a sinew back but would like to try one to see what it takes to break. Do not worry about the reflex. The picture I posted here had a huge reflex, then 6 layers of sinew, all sapwood 43.5" 46# @ 23.5#. Another all sap with 5 layers is 39" and drawn 25" and it's 5 years old and still in one piece. Good luck Randman and look up Miwok bows for help.
 Robustus, what do you mean by pc? If you are asking for a branch I think I can get one for the man who makes the most beautiful bows I have seen on this site( I like composites).

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 02:03:33 am »
That's a beauty!  Any interesting bow woods in the salt lake area to look for?  I might be there all weekend.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 02:14:42 am »
Gundoc, my favorites in order. Tons of Utah and Rocky mt juniper, tall strait serviceberry and chokecherry abound in the mt canyons, as well as lots of gamble oak.  There is also mountain mahogany, but its really hard to fing a strait twist free piece.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 02:23:00 am »
Thanks!  If I end up spending the weekend here, I'll know what to look for.  Once again, beauty of a bow!