Author Topic: Just for fun.....Ken75 inspired (FD PICS)  (Read 5173 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Just for fun.....Ken75 inspired (FD PICS)
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:34:22 am »
I broke a BBO a while back from being in a hurry with the horn tips. The bow started as a 64" ntn with 3" of reflex. I tossed it the "corner" because I just couldnt throw it away. Last night while waiting between Tung oil coats on a youth bow I decided to find out just how strong a BBO could be. I snipped the broken end off clean and matched the opposite end in length, rasped off the handle area to make it a working handle and re-tapered the tips. It ended up 50" ntn and had 1 1/2" of reflex by the time I was done snipping and tapering.  My plan was to pull it until it broke to complete the experiment. What happened was a cool little bow that is 58# @ 28" that is dead straight after unbracing. I pulled that little turd to 29" plus many times over with no ill effects...........yet. I went outside and shot my bamboo arrows through it and it was AMAZINGLY fast and powerful at a 28" draw. My arrows blew right through my target with ease. I shot it several times and then pulled it on my tree several more times, still no chrysals, splinters or "pops" anywhere. I have no idea just how far that bugger could draw and dont plan on fnding out now because I love it as is. I will post some finished pic's in the coming days if she holds strong. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:31:03 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Just for fun.....Ken75 inspired
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:41:11 am »
Sweet!

I've done the same thing with a Hick/Erc failure...actually made 2 attempts but each interim bow didn't live (found I had some punky Hick  ::))

Looking forward to the pics.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:42:41 pm »
What....no pics. What a tease....lol. :laugh:

I love seeing bows being pulled past half there length. Can't wait to see her being bent over >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 01:07:29 pm »
Its bent alright Chris! It messes with your eyes when the arc goes beyong half way. I will toss up some pics tonite before I start to seal it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »
lol , before long you will look at a 60 inch bow stave and think ... damn that things long.
cant wait to see this one i love to see limbs work !!!!!!!

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:41:29 am »
I know exactly what you are saying Ken! I roughed out an Elm stave the other day to 63" OAL and thought "why would anyone want a bow this long" ? :P.

Lets see some pics quick Pearl. I love me some short bows!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 08:28:06 am »
Short bows are cool and I'm looking forward to seeing this one, I do fine them a lot harder to shoot at least for me.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 11:45:04 am »
Pappy:  Yes, I agree.  They are a bit more difficult to be consistent with but, they are great to bring up the tree stand!  I find my groups at a reasonable hunting distance turn from the size of a dessert plate to a dinner plate.  Still in the kill zone, for me.

Drums:  I gotta see pics of this bow!  I'm wanting to do a BBO.  What did you use for glue?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:58:05 am »
Think once ya get used to the short bend through's ya really get to like them. I think they are fast, well mannered, and shoot pretty darned hard too. That's just from my experience......your bow sounds too cool, cant wait to see the little darlin'.
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:49:10 pm »
My tiller isnt dead nutz, but close enough. Its dang hard to tiller a bow to 28" that is 51" long, its not an even arc anymore. I will get some pics tonite. I camo stained the boo last night gray and brown, left the osage natural and tried dipping the urethane on rather than wiping. Its turned out very nice and even.  I will snap some pics tonite.

"Drums:  I gotta see pics of this bow!  I'm wanting to do a BBO.  What did you use for glue?"

I used URAC on this bow Matt. I am starting a BBI build with that boo I got from you Sunday. I am going to use TBIII on that one. Im a HUGE fan of Titebond for just about everything, its very good stuff used correctly.  I trust it to hold just fine.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Just for fun.....Ken75 inspired (FD PICS)
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 09:56:22 pm »
Added some pics. The full draw is a bit deceiving with the bow slightly canted and the chair in the background.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 10:47:26 pm »
Looks like she's ready to take to a ground blind  :D and make meat ;)

Offline half eye

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 12:12:25 am »
Looks like damned fine circle to me....that's got meat-maker wrote all over it
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 04:25:01 pm »
Thats the plan Rich. I have a nice little corn field edge to tuck into 3 rows deep. That was the idea of the "corn feild" stain job. My bro-in-law shot it last night and couldnt believe the speed and power this little bugger has.