Author Topic: River Cane ?  (Read 7500 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: River Cane ?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 10:10:37 am »
Hey Gun Doc...if the Phrags are cut when green about how long do they take to dry out?  I located a huge patch here last night and cut about 1/2 dozen just to see what they were like and how thick the shaft walls were.  they look fairly promising.  I'd really like to have some Phrag arrows to hunt with on our Deer Opener on Oct 1st but I have a feeling that even if I cut them green today they might not be dry in time to hunt with?

What did you use for material to foreshaft them?  Natural shoots or dowels?

Thanks guys!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 02:03:46 am »
It might be to early to cut it right now.  You will know in a couple days if it is mature enough, because it will start to shrivel longitudinally.  If it still has smooth sides after a week you should be alright.  That being said, I'm afraid it takes several months to cure properly and harden.  I have made arrows in as little as 3 months successfully, but any quicker and they don't seem to hold up.  As far as foreshafts goes, it depends on how much FOC you want.  I prefer dogwood and maple (diffuse porous and dense) but have had good luck with ash, osage and even black walnut.  I have used ramin wood dowels when in a hurry, but they do not hold up well at all.  When fitting the foreshaft to the cane, make sure you have good shoulder contact and that it is also contacting the node inside.  Sinew wrap the shoulder and the node to prevent splitting.  Same thing on the nock end make sure your nock insert is touching the node inside.  I like to have the nock end node, right where the back of the fletching will be tied on with sinew.  That way the sinew is reinforcing the nock as well as holding the feather on ;). If I have confused you on the foreshaft fitting, look at my 'quiver friendly atlatl dart post' I use the same method there, just bigger.  My laptops down so it might be a while before I'm back on, I hope this gets you started anyway.
  Josh

Offline frankg

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 04:53:28 pm »
Being a dummy to any other arrow shafts other than aluminum or POC .................which end of canes are tip and/or nock in relation to diameter ?  8)
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 05:51:12 pm »
Big end is the point end, small end is the nock end. Weight forward arrows fly better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline frankg

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 06:52:56 pm »
Thanks Pat ! I didnt know if the point was counted on to balance it out or what  :o Now Im smarter that when I woke up this morn ;D ;D ;D
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:09 am »
Thanks Doc.  The 6 or 8 I cut last week have dried a fair amount already...after no days in the car with some hot temps they have lost 13 grams of weight/moisture.  They haven't wrinkled like you mentioned to look for so I may just cut more since we had 48 degrees here last night.  Good tip on the sinew wrap at the nock and tail end of the fletching...thanks!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:39 pm »
You should be good to go then.  Glad to help.
    Josh