Author Topic: River Cane ?  (Read 7498 times)

Offline frankg

River Cane ?
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:43:56 pm »
While down at river I think I found a couple stands of river cane with some stinging nettles guarding it also ! I clipped some and peeled the leaves off. It had some sticky syrup on and had lots of aphids covering them . Should they be cut close to length and bundled or bundled as is till dry? There were quite a few dryed ones still standing are they usable if not fractured?

South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: River Cane ?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:07:20 pm »
It looks as though you cut immature cane my friend.  Second year growth, will not have the leaves on it or will be starting to fall off.  This would be the more satiable cane for arrows.  What it appears that you cut is first year growth and will be very very weak in spine.  JMO  And no you really don't want to cut dead cane either.

Offline frankg

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 06:44:27 pm »
Hmmmmm !!!!!! Good thing I just got a handfull then !  :D I know where they are now tho'. So the 'ripe' ones have very few leaves on them ? Is this at bottem section of them ? I need to find a pic of them just as harvested  :laugh:

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:19:13 pm »
Go here and look at the picture and you will see that all but a very small amount of the sheath is on the cane.  This is the second year growth.  If it is the first year, you sheath will be wrapped around the cane tight.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,9947.0.html

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:31:17 pm »
frankg. Hopefully PatB will be chiming in he know a lot about the cane. This JMO. I agree with stringstretcher. It looks like 1st year growth. Also if I'm not mistaken, the cane shouldn't be harvested till later in the year. You couldn't pay me enough to get in the cane patches around here now. Just to good of a place for Mr. No Shoulders to be lurking :o Not sure but it also looks like switch cane. But like  I said, Pat can tell you a lot more ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline frankg

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 11:51:21 pm »
hillbilly, I can tell you I know nothing about it  ;D I just happened on it nosing around the river here on ranch. Far as I know there isnt any nasty critters on this side of river .Other side tho' , they be rattlers !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 02:06:37 am »
I don't think that is cane at all but probably Phragmites.   Where do you live, Frank?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline frankg

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 02:56:45 am »
Im  Klamath Falls Ore. , southern part of Ore. Pat.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 04:25:07 am »
That looks like phragmites to me as well.  I just cut a few in Salt Lake City today, just to see how far along it is in maturity.  Not ready.  In the northern part of the country there is no second year of growth on the culm of phragmites.  Winter kills it and it starts anew in the spring.  If you wait until just before the first frost should arrive or within a week after the first frost to cut, you can make some decent arrows from that.  Providing you're not shooting a 100# war bow that is.  My arrows are all phragmites and hold up well with my 60# longbow.  Oh BTW, don't bundle them to dry.  Just lay them out flat somewhere out of the way where they can air out but not get stepped on or broke.  Just my 2 cents.

Josh

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 11:29:30 am »
I think we have Phragmites here in MI also and they do the winter kill/die off every year too.  Can they reach a sufficient diameter in the 1 year  growth?  Does anyone have pics of the tops of the Phrag...ours are wispy type tassels, just trying to see if we are talking about the same plant.  Thanks~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline uwe

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 12:16:25 pm »
I often think about this material. What is it? Is it more bamboo and as tough as bamboo or is it more what we have in Europe called reed, what is brittle and used foor roofs?
Thanks for reply!
Regards Uwe

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 01:22:15 pm »
Phragmites is more of a perrenial grass so it will die back to the crown each year. I have never used it for arrows but I know Jackcrafty has and might even have a "How To" in the How To section.  I believe some of the Plains Native Americans used it for arrows.
  I think I'd listen to Gun Doc because he uses it for arrows.
  I don't think that there are any native canes(bamboos) in the NW. There are probably many varieties of bamboo there that were brought in from Asia that will make good arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline frankg

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 01:32:35 pm »
That looks like phragmites to me as well.  I just cut a few in Salt Lake City today, just to see how far along it is in maturity.  Not ready.  In the northern part of the country there is no second year of growth on the culm of phragmites.  Winter kills it and it starts anew in the spring.  If you wait until just before the first frost should arrive or within a week after the first frost to cut, you can make some decent arrows from that.  Providing you're not shooting a 100# war bow that is.  My arrows are all phragmites and hold up well with my 60# longbow.  Oh BTW, don't bundle them to dry.  Just lay them out flat somewhere out of the way where they can air out but not get stepped on or broke.  Just my 2 cents.

Josh

Ill visit them at deer season 1st of Oct. , thats when we usually get some hard frosts .

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 01:59:43 pm »
The trick to getting good phragmites, is to look for the tallest ones with the base of the culm being 5/16 to 3/8".  In other words the tallest stems with the narrower base at the ground than the rest of the plants.  The reason for this is, the narrower stem diameter at the base forces the plant to form thicker walls to support it self.  If that makes sense.  It also means a more consistent diameter arrow shaft for the length of your shaft.  Foreshafts are pretty much a must and a hardwood or bamboo insert at the nock end will ensure the longevity of the arrow and your bow. (see hillbilly61's 'could have been worse') ;)  Phragmites is nowhere near as tough as rivercane, but it will still outperform cedar if properly worked.  IMHO.  If you have questions(and you will) don't hesitate to ask.
  Josh 

Offline frankg

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 03:41:05 pm »
Thanks for info ! Oh , Ill have lots of questions  ;D