Author Topic: my second bow Persimmon  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Iitchy

my second bow Persimmon
« on: August 15, 2011, 04:35:17 pm »
hello again this is my second bow that has made it through to the end. It is 68in TtT and was my first time dealing with knots in the wood it came in around the low 40s at 28in but I still like it. Had a little deflex in the limbs to begin with so i think it took 1 1/2 to 2 inches of set.
thanks for looking.
Kristopher R. Oklahoma

Offline butch

Re: my second bow Persimmon
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:16:44 pm »
i live in manford. would like to meet someday. thats good work on the bow. after doing it what dia. tree would you say is the minimum . want to start one soon.

Offline Iitchy

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:38:28 pm »
The bow blew up in my hands just now (still trying to make my hands stop shaking so that I can type right) Ill post pics in a min
Kristopher R. Oklahoma

Offline Iitchy

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:45:37 pm »
it broke on the top limb about 8 inches down.
Kristopher R. Oklahoma

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:43:11 pm »
man that will suck everything up nice and tight :o, thats to bad, looked pretty good, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Iitchy

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:07:32 pm »
yeah I think the problem was that I used a draw knife to get the bark of and made a weak spot in the back right there.
Kristopher R. Oklahoma

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 07:26:38 pm »
That bow was looking really good, especially considering it was only your second!. It's always a little heart breaking when a bow breaks on you, but as we say around here, "it's time to start a new one!"

I have complete faith that you'll be making some really nice bows judging from this one. And remember, even if a bow breaks it isn't a failure, just a heart wrenching lesson ;)

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:41:13 pm »
Aww Bummer.  That was a nice looking Bow.  like matt said time to start on a new one. 

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 07:53:07 pm »
that is too bad man! Kris, I live in Prairie Grove,AR which I'm sure you know is only like 30 mins from you. There are a few stickbow shooters around here. Holler at me sometime.

Jon W.