Author Topic: Hickory backed Massaranduba  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Stefan

Hickory backed Massaranduba
« on: August 18, 2011, 06:45:06 am »
Hey all primitive archers,

With your help I completed my first laminated flatbow. It's massaranduba backed with hickory, the handle is glued up with a real dark piece of laburnum. I added some maple fineers in between.

I really enjoyed working with massaranduba, it does irritate the nose when sawing and sanding. It got it for free, it was left over when building a deck  :D

The bow is  70'' long t2t, 1 1/4 wide on the handle 1/2 wide at the nock. I hit my target weight,
 it's about 52# at 28''

I have build 4 bows now, this one is now my favourite. I have a laburnum longbow waiting for a leather grip. If it's ready i will post pictures in a new topic.

The bow is finish with 5 coats of danish oil. Does anybody know if I can still sign the bow?

The bowstring is made of B50, 14 strands

Greetings from the netherlands,

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline bubby

Re: Hickory backed Massaranduba
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:20:49 am »
nice bow Stefan, one suggestion, next time instead of a flat top on your rest, radius it so that there's less contact with the arrows, once again a very nice bow with clean lines, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:35:23 am »
Nice looking bow,pretty contrast on the wood.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stefan

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:46:37 am »
Thanks for the replies,

Bub --> there is a slight radius on the arrow shelf, very hard to see on the photo's. Next time i will arc the arrowshelf some more

Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 07:54:26 am »
Fine work Stefan!!
Rockford, MI

Offline Stefan

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:57:49 am »
Just wanted to post a small image of the grain orientation, that kind of images helped me understand when i got into making bows

Its a cross section of the limb, the thin pieces is hickory, on the back of the bow you can see that several rings are cut through, for hickory this is not important due to the thoughness and long fibers (so i'm told by the seller of this hickory backing)

Leonardo

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 02:54:01 pm »
Good tiller but I would recommend you round all the corners on your next one. Sharp edges are prone to lifting splinters.

Offline okie64

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 02:23:27 am »
Great lookin bow. I've done a couple of hic-backed massarandubas myself and they are some sweet shooters. The wood I got was from an old deck that had been in the weather for about 15 years, still worked out great for bows.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 03:02:07 am »
That is some cool looking wood 8) nice contrast,looks sharp!as mentioned before watch for lifting splinters on the corners...nice looking bow man!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...