Author Topic: Feather Cutter??  (Read 5986 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Feather Cutter??
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:44:00 pm »
I'm thinking about trying to aquire a feather cutter, maybe like the lil' chopper.  Just wondering what you all thought the best style was?  I kinda figured on a traditional cut because it looks like I could trim that cut if I wanted and get either a shield cut or a parobolic cut.  Does it work that way or not?  Maybe someone has a better idea for me here too.  If anybody's got good ideas, you all do.  Thanks for any help.   

dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Feather Cutter??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:33:26 pm »
I have used feather choppers but prefer to burn my feathers instead of chopping. I can get a more consistant fletching this way. You can also make up different styles of fletching just by shaping other heat ribbons(available at 3Rivers for about $1.50)  Feather burners(Young) are pretty expensive but you can make one with an electric soldering gun.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:41:44 pm »
Ahh, just the info I'm looking for.  I've got several old soldering guns I no longer use.  How do you go about that?  Is there a link on here somewhere from the past?  Thanks Pat.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:44:20 pm »
 I have a brand new burner still in the box. I haven't used it yet because it seems to be quicker to just grab a chopper and bang away. You just have to be sure your feathers are in there straight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:27:56 pm »
I have seen a link somewhere but can't remember where. My be here of on TradGang. The soldering gun is already set up with a resister so it is safe to use for a feather burner.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 05:40:40 pm »
Pat, I'll look for it.

Mullett, what style do you cut?

Thanks guys, dpg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 07:22:09 pm »
 I like the Traditional and P&Y.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 12:58:04 am »
I made a burner out of some scrap 1x board, some carriage bolts, and some ribbons from 3rivers.  I use a car battery charger to provide the juice to heat the wire.  It works great, and only cost a couple of bucks for the ribbons.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline frankg

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 01:14:55 am »
Found a pretty easy one like osage outlaw described.

http://www.bambooarrow.com/burner.html
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline neuse

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 11:23:48 am »
I have a little chopper P&Y cut, it takes a little bit to learn how to use it with consistent results, but I like the P&Y shape.
I just ordered another P&Y and Barracuda cutter from Herb Haines who sells Vario clipper, supposed to be better than the Little Chopper.
I have a burner but have a terrible time doing a good job with it.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 02:40:22 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.  Anybody know how to get ahold of Herb?  I'm pretty intrigued now.  Probably end up w/ one of each.  ::)  Thanks again, dpgratz

Offline neuse

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:03:08 pm »
Google Herb Haines Archery.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 11:15:18 am »
I have used both little chopper and Vario chopper. If you are going to chop a few feathers I would stick with the little chopper for less than $20, It does a pretty good job once you learn how to keep your feather in the same place every time you chop.

If you plan on chopping a lot of feathers the Vario is the way to go but they are expensive. I think I payed over $80 for mine. It chops a very even fletching and has a slot to hold the quill of a feather in position while you chop.

If you decide you want another shape for your Vario you can order just the cutter head to fit your base. I have a 5 1/2" shield for me and a 4" shield for my wife's arrows.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 01:03:06 am »
I built one of the feather burners you can find on-line. Less than 5 bucks for parts.I power it with my battery charger set on 6 volts.It works great, and has for years. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 01:40:31 pm »
I built one of the feather burners you can find on-line. Less than 5 bucks for parts.I power it with my battery charger set on 6 volts.It works great, and has for years. God Bless

Pete, where on-line?

Thanks for the replys guys.