Author Topic: First ever bow  (Read 4890 times)

Offline GaryR

First ever bow
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:35:10 pm »
Finally completed my first bow with the help of George.  Tell me what you think. 

blackhawk

Re: First ever bow
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:57:26 pm »
That's a challenging stave with the limbs coming out at different angles of the handle. Nice first bow. Congrats  ;)

Im assuming its Osage. But what's the stats on her. Gonna take her meat seeking?

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:11:32 am »
I do believe ya done really well......most guys dont "start" with staves, let alone one with challenges like that.....well done.
rich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:43:07 am »
That looks very nice.  Great job.  You lucked out with a good teacher. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:52:59 am »
You did well! Nice job. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:37 am »
very nice first bow , next thing ya know George will have you knappin

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 01:14:24 am »
Great lookin bow! Dont much care for the shirt though. :laugh:

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 01:37:35 am »
Nice looking bow, GaryR.  If the bug bit you as bad as it did the rest of us, you'll be making many, many more!  For the full draw pulls, I would have a correct length arrow on the string.  It will insure that you (and especially your friends) don't overdraw it.

Congratulations on #1
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 01:50:04 am »
Hey Gary, nice to see your pictures up.  I keep looking at that full draw wondering if I steered you wrong tillering to keep the tips in alignment.  We sure did make that lower limb bend more but it didn't look that way on the tree.  Seemed to shoot well, have you had a chance to get some arrows?  If I remember right the stats are 65" n2n, 55lbs@27".

Lets make another one?!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 03:39:28 am »
Wait a minute...They play football in texas :o??? >:D

Super first bow Gary, really nice job. You got any idea how many folks would love to build one with George's help? Hang with him as long as he will stand it ;) and you will be a boyer in record time.

Lane

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 05:16:19 am »
Great first bow.
If you want me to be picky I'd say the top limb looks a tad stiff, a few scrapes along the top limb will also take a little pressure off the bottom one so it will even it all up a tad.
(I do realise the limbs don't start straight).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 10:02:00 am »
Great lookin bow! Dont much care for the shirt though. :laugh:

Yea, it's about that time of year again.  My son-in-law is from OK so I'll be kept up to date on your season.  I lived in Nebraska so long that it's hard not to keep up with them too.  I can't even keep up with which teams are actually from Texas.  There are a bunch.

Yes Del, I wish I'd taken some pictures of this bow on the tree.  That offset top limb really tricked me, looking like it was bending more than it was, and I didn't see it until I saw the picture.  We actually stopped working on the top limb way early as that tip was about 4" further down at full draw than the other.  We talked about heat bending the lower limb into some deflex and then heating in some recurves, but Gary opted to keep it as-is and call it character.  Good choice.  Interestingly, it took no set at all. 

Gary did a great job on his bow.  He lives quite a ways away so it took awhile, but we had a great time.  My wife did her best to get him to gain a couple pounds by feeding him.  I don't think it worked on him, but it did on me. ::)  Hopefully we can get together again.  He brought me a couple hickory quarters so you may actually see a hickory bow come out of my shop.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 10:07:12 am »
Good job on your first, welcome to the addiction.  :) :) Challenging piece of wood for your first,you done well. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 01:50:09 pm »
excellent job on that bow Gary. your a lucky dog to have George help you with your first. great fulldraw and I think you chose right to keep it a longbow and forego the recurves.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 07:34:32 pm »
Yes Sir,

Nice looking bow!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX