Author Topic: suggestions for good hunting coat/pants  (Read 2989 times)

Offline blades7558

suggestions for good hunting coat/pants
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:42:22 pm »
Im in the market for a good set of natural fiber outer wear for hunting.  They don't have to be camp but im not into the gortex sentlock predator like invisibilty clothes. Oh and price. Isn't much of an issue thanks!
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: suggestions for good hunting coat/pants
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:02:11 pm »
Check out "Sportsmans Guide". They are a PA sponsor.  I got two pair of Swedish wool pants for about $25(for both). They have wool Military surplus shirts also or get a WoolRich wool plaid overshirt . Good plaid makes great camo.
  Google "Military Surplus Wool Pants" and lots of sources will come up and most are pretty inexpensive.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:25:17 pm »
Check out "Sportsmans Guide". They are a PA sponsor.  I got two pair of Swedish wool pants for about $25(for both). They have wool Military surplus shirts also or get a WoolRich wool plaid overshirt . Good plaid makes great camo.
  Google "Military Surplus Wool Pants" and lots of sources will come up and most are pretty inexpensive.

And wool is warm if you get wet, quiet when you move through brush, wont burst into flame or melt on you around fire, and if you tend to sweat a lot you wont stink nearly as much ;)

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:07:04 am »
The onlyl problem I've found with the wool surplus stuff is they are mostly made for skinny guys.  If you've got much girth it's tough to find any that fit.  I've had great luck with wool at Goodwill stores.  It only takes a couple of minutes to swing in and look through the racks, and if you do find something it's only a few bucks.  Granted, some of the sweaters look like they came out of Bill Cosby's closet, but they still get the job done.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline blades7558

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:40:13 pm »
Rofl rockin the bill cosby big game hunting edition
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

eorr

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 07:06:24 am »
If price isn't an issue, then go for King of the Mountain.  They're high but worth it.  I got a Bowman jacket a couple of years ago in a trade.  It's cut big and loose for drawing a bow and is made super quiet, warm and windproof wool.  It's fairly heavyweight but they also have lighter stuff.  A friend of mine swears by KOM Hillbilly bibs, too.  He says he can sit in the snow for hours without feeling a thing.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:03:50 am »
I like wool long handles,then layers,and a good goosedown vest,(the most important element).The vest helps reduce bulk on the arms for cleaner shooting. JMHO God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:08:34 am »
The Gallatin series from Columbia has served me well for years. I hunt ALOT and Im not nice to my clothes.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:54:21 pm »
I am like J Creason.  I shop garage sales and thrift stores.   I have woolrich pants from there-$6.  Wool shirts over silk long underwear.  Need more warmth-another shirt a size larger and/or a vest.  I did score a Gallitin top and pants for 5 bucks apiece at a garage sale.  Lots of wear left in them.   Wool slacks with silk unders work for any hunting where I walk.  Heavy wools are only for stand hunting.