Author Topic: fugly 54" sinewed HHB  (Read 9701 times)

blackhawk

fugly 54" sinewed HHB
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:05:10 pm »
Finally finished this one off. I started it back in march this year. 54" ntn sinewed hophornbeam. 1 5/16" handle,1 3/4"+ out of the fades,1/4" tips(padauk) at very end,3 courses of sinew down the center of the crown,slight R/D profile,and 55lbs@24"  bend thru the handle bow.
First time I was shooting it in an unseen punky spot caused a a cave in near the tip on my tenth shot. Arggh...so 2 weeks later I ground it out and patched it with an ipe underlay. Then on recommencing shooting it in my tiller had changed again. Arggh...So I set it aside to fully season for several months till this week. I corrected it and shot it in for the third time and finally she's holding steady now. About time.  :laugh:  Tiller is a hair off for my profile,but its good enough for me,so no need to mention where I could tweak it(I know)   and I also was hoping to retain more reflex in my profile...oh well. Live n learn.

Balancing it on my finger tip....lol

Thanks for checking it out....Chris
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:11:28 pm by blackhawk »

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: fugly 54" sinewed HHB
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 09:24:58 pm »
Nice!!! That's a beauty. I was planning on picking up some padauk in the morning. Thanks for the inspiration. Keep up the good work Chris.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:44:28 pm »
I really like that! Very well done! The tiller is slightly off for the particular profile you have there :D just kidding! I think it looks great! We are always our own worst crittic, I think the tiller looks nice. :)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:47:14 pm »
Yea, I don't see any tiller issues at all.  Looks like a real nice bow.  I think we should put that finger balance shot in as a requirement for all future bows...O wait, then I'd have to do it.  Perhaps not.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 10:05:58 pm »
Looks sweet unbraced, braced and full draw.  how did you stain it? belly and back look different than the sides......I like it. :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:36:34 pm »
I really like this bow Chris. Good job!

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:40:50 pm »
Looks great Chris....I really like the finish work!!! Elk tracker is right on the money when he says we are always our worst critic....Its not to often you,,,I,,,us finish one out and not wish we did something different ....but the only one that knows that is yourself. Looks awesome to me....Well done buddy

Jon

hawkshaman

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 10:42:20 pm »
Looks good to me. I like the color, too.

John

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 11:39:38 pm »
Chris:  Doesn't look all that fugly to me.  Actually, I think its a nice looking bow.  For me, there's something about a pyramid shaped bow. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 11:45:11 pm »
Thanks Dave...the padauk sure is nice for tips and handle overlays

Thanks josh..I am a horrible critic ...lol :laugh:

Thanks George....lol....you crack me up

Thanks Eric...I dyed the bow. I colored the sides black,the belly brown,the sinew stripe a dark fleshy bloody red,and the rest of the back a fiery orangish red.

Thanks jonw

Thanks jon(buddy)...yeah no one sees what I went thru with it and only the end product. Which I do agree turned out nice in the end. Looks different than the last time you saw it huh. Im sure you'll be seeing her dressed up in the near future ;)

Thanks John(hawkshaman)

Thanks a lot Matt ;)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 11:50:26 pm »
Man shoot, that thing looks pretty good to me!  I like the looks of it.  How is the performance?
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 01:07:58 am »
i think the bow looks damn fine great tiller ...however i thought i had stumbled on the playgirl thread with all that xrated content.  >:D least your not a plumber as well

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 01:15:37 am »
Yes Sir,

That is one fine looking bow.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 01:43:43 am »
Wow bud, Fugly huh?  Don't think so...really like everything about this stick.  What are her stats?

Oh...and WHAT IS WITH all the dang facial hair?  Looks like a beaver died on your face  >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 01:53:59 am »
Looking gooood!!! And the bow is not bad ether. LoL :D  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...