Author Topic: 36-Inch Hornbow w/Coral Snake  (Read 32026 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
36-Inch Hornbow w/Coral Snake
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:45:12 pm »
I’ve wanted to make a horn and sinew composite bow for years and finally set my mind to do it.  Recently, I visited Mr. Norm Blaker at his home.  He showed me a bow made by Lukas Novotny without the siyas typical of the Asiatic composite bows.  Immediately, it struck me as the style that I wanted to attempt.  I thumbed through my book collection, and struck gold when I saw the front cover picture of an early print of Jim Hamm’s – Bows & Arrows of the Native Americans.  As I am a fan of short bows, I had to attempt the 36-inch, horn and sinew composite bow.

I had water buffalo horns long enough for two 18-inch pieces.  I cut and sanded them into strips then glued them using hide glue to a 1/8 x 1 x 36-inch long osage core that I worked out of a quarter split stave.  It was a bit disheartening cutting that nice big stave into such a small, thin slat.  After letting it dry for a couple of weeks, I sinew backed the osage side with three layers of leg sinew.  The bow was coming along very nicely.  From the beginning of this project,   I swore to myself that I would take my time on this one.  It was my first horn/sinew bow and it was going to be special.  I waited about a month between sinew layers fighting the constant urges to rush into them sooner. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:20:38 pm by MWirwicki »
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline MWirwicki

Re: 36-Inch Hornbow w/Coral Snake
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:46:51 pm »
Finally after the last layer dried, I strung it up with a long (relatively speaking) string to check the tiller.  To my surprise, it looked good enough to shorten the string to brace height.  In many ways, I was relieved since I really didn’t know how I was going to tiller the bow.  I didn’t think that I wanted to scrape the belly.  Was I to sand off some sinew from the back?  Luckily, I didn’t have to try either.  I drew the bow down to 23-inches.  I noticed though, that the bow needed to be stiffer in the handle area so, I unstrung her and added a fourth layer of sinew just at the handle area and a bit beyond.  That did it.  So, I guess that I figured out how to tiller the bow; just ADD sinew where it needed to be stiffer. 

Now for the decoration – I wanted some horizontal designs but, knew that I wasn’t much with a paint brush.  I also liked the idea of snake skins but, I wanted something different.  To me, this was far too special of a bow to settle for common rattlesnake skins.  I thought about coral snakes.  I began spreading the word that I would give my right leg for a set but, quickly learned that they weren’t too common.  Also, they are a very small snake and to get two skins that were a close match and then for both to stretch even an inch wide was going to be tougher.  After about another month, a friend in Texas came up with a set.  Then, it was time for the hair on the upper limb.  Instead of horse hair, I saved a beard from my first wild turkey that I took 3 years ago.  The magic in that beard had to be part of it.  Here are the final specs:  36-inches long tip-to-tip.   42 lbs.  The arrow in the pics is 24" long.  The bow bottoms out at 23 inches of draw.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:52:20 am by MWirwicki »
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:54:25 pm »
Now that is a bow.......sweet jesus that's some bend. While your finish and decoration is certainly examplary the physical bow is what really trips this old man's trigger......most excellent.
rich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 11:54:49 pm »
Wow!  That is a lot of bend out of that thing.  Very nice work.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 11:56:50 pm »
holy cow matt,that is one of the greatest bows i have seen this year...i really wish you would have done a how-to on it...it would be neat to see the whole prosses...it would work great in the brush...thanks so much for sharing...john

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:30:06 am »
outstanding bow!! thanks for the motivation

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 12:39:12 am »
Woa! 

How does it bend that deep?

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 12:44:18 am »
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet baby jesus look at 'er bend.  :o

Glad you found a set of coral skins for her Matt. That finish turned out awesome brother. That is one special bow. Hold onto that one n never let it go.

Glad I got to see this one in person,but it was before the skins and finish and it was awesome then,if I only could see her now in person all prettied up afterwards.

P.s. Marty sent me a sneak peek pic of it finished up a few days ago  ;)....again AWESOME JOB

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 12:52:54 am »
I keep coming back to this thread.  I'm mezmorized! 

I'd love to see a build along.  Where/How did you get the horn that big? 

Think that would work with bamboo?

What is the draw weight/length?  I'm trying to get shorter and shorter (without breaking) to eventualy arive at a bow that I can shoot frommy kayak.  Since I basicaly sit at water level 36" is perfect!

I can't believe it bends so deeply.  I had heard that horn was wonderful on compression.

I'm guessing you used a form for the glue up?  Hide glue?  It holds well for actual use?

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 01:05:11 am »
Half-eye, Outlaw, Blacktail, JBoyd:  Thank you for your kind words.  I was really excited by this one. 

Blackhawk:  I knew about the sneak peak.  But, I knew the "cell phone pic" wouldn't do it as much justice.  Thank you brother, It was a fun build.

Prarie Bowyer:  I got the horn years ago from Lukas Novotny.  Evidently, water buffalo horn gets that long.  I don't know for certain if bamboo would take that much compression.  My educated guess is not.  It draws 42 lbs at 23 inches.  It won't pull a bit more than 23.  It just seems to STOP right at 23.  I did not use a form for the glue up.  The horn has a natural curve to it.  I glued each horn half to the osage core.  Yes, hide glue.  It holds up extremely well.

P.S. On the horn.  Not having longer horn at the time, Jim Hamm adjoins 4 pcs about 9-inches long on his bow.  Since the horn is on the belly (compression) side of the bow it works.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:39:16 am by MWirwicki »
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline JonW

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 01:27:02 am »
Very nicely done sir. Thank you for sharing such a special thing as this.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 02:15:41 am »
Man I have to agree with Blackhawks first sentence, Its got to be one of the nicest  bows I've ever seen. Good on ya,  cant wait to see your next one.

Crg
Armstrong, BC

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 02:18:27 am »
Hot Damn!!!!  Now THAT my friend is a Hornbow!  I love everything about it but that bend & length (or lack there of) is the cat's meow.

I have 4 sets of water buff horn coming shortly.  I was/am planing on some Asiatic style builds but I will be trying one of these...

Did you groove the osage and horn or just glue them as they are?  Any idea on the speed of that shorty?

Thanks for sharing the pics on this one Matt!

Oh, and why does that hairy cheeked Blackhawk guy get all the special treatment?   ::)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 02:34:40 am »
 I think you got all the bend out of that one. That is one, pretty, bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 05:19:41 am »
KILLER...!!!
Frank from Germany...