Author Topic: String noise off fingers - SOLVED!!!  (Read 3308 times)

Offline stevecpa66

String noise off fingers - SOLVED!!!
« on: September 11, 2011, 12:18:18 am »
I'm a genuine newbie at traditional archery as I haven't loosed and arrow at an animal yet but I seem to have created a problem.

I'm shooting a longbow (57# at 29") and I was getting quite a bit of wrist slap from the string. I increased my brace height to about 6.5" and it has taken care of the writs slap, however, now my string is making noise coming off my fingers. This noise wasn't there at the lower brace height.

I'm shooting one over/two under with a tab but I did try bare fingers and still had the noise. The string is hitting my middle finger just outside of my first knuckle and the fleshy pad of my pointer and ring finger, so I do not think I'm getting the string too far down my fingers.

Is there anything to fix this or do I have to make a choice between the noise or the wrist slap?

My effective hunting range right now is less than 15 yards, so will the string noise not be as big an issue?

My arrows are cane with self nocks and are spined heavy. Not sure on the exact spine as they shoot great so I have never bothered to spine them. I would guess they would spine at 60-65#.

Any insight would be great.

EDIT: I should add that I am using beaver fur string silencers, but again the noise started only after increasing the brace height.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:45:10 pm by stevecpa66 »

Offline PeteC

Re: String noise off fingers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:10:14 am »
Steve,have you tried another tab,or a shooting glove? I use the 3 layer tabs that 3 Rivers Archery sells,and they are very quiet.It is the calfskin model and inexpensive. JMHO God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:44:22 am »
Instead of using the outter end of your fingers(near first joint) to grip the string, use a deep hook grip where the string is near the second joint of the string fingers. You'd think that would impede the release but actually you will get a cleaner release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stevecpa66

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:25:55 pm »
PeteC: Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at it. I may have to try numerous tabs until I find one that works best for me.

Pat B: You're right, Pat. You'd think that would impede the release but I will sure give it a shot. At this point in my traditional archery journey my knowledge is strictly erudition, but hoping to change it to experience.

I backed off on my brace height to see if I could get any change, but I still have noise. Perhaps it has been there all the time, and it is just that now when I'm really getting into a hunting mindset that I noticed the noise.

Thanks again for the above comments and I'll gladly read anybody's thoughts and ideas on this issue.

Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:05:50 pm »
The brace height shouldn't effect the quietness of your release. It will once the string drops, though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 02:24:06 pm »
Also, be sure that you're relaxing the fingers to release and not actively opening them.  That will cause you to "pluck" the string, causing noise and erratic arrow flight.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline stevecpa66

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 06:14:01 pm »
Pat B: That makes sense on the brace height and the string noise. I'm thinking it is nothing more than my release at this point and trying to remedy that.

Jonathan: It sure could be a "plucking" sound I'm hearing. I'll concentrate on not concentrating :laugh: to actively open my hand but let my fingers relax.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:42:50 pm »
Do you have string silencers on your string? If not, tie a few rubber bands on the string, one on the top and one on the botton, and see if that helps. If so, you can add a more appropriate set of silencers.

Offline stevecpa66

Re: String noise off fingers - SOLVED!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:58:27 pm »
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Thanks Pat B, jonathan, and PeteC for helping me.

If it wasn't for the fact that I was confident in your knowledge, I would have thought the advice was crazy.

But I took a deeper hook on the string and concentrated on letting my fingers relax instead of trying to get them out of the way of the string and PRESTO! No noise.

In addition my groups were tighter once I got used to my new anchor point. (I use my fingertips and their position changed slightly.)

I have no hesitation now on taking a shot out to 15 yards and will be working on extending it to 20 yards. My struggle at 20 yards is picking a spot. I see too much of the target.

Thanks again guys and come on deer season.

Steve

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 12:52:13 am »
Oh great.  Ten days until season opens here for archery deer and now I have to try out out a deep hook release that Pat mentioned.  Don't you know you aren't supposed to make any chances for 30 days before season?!?!?! 

I've always set the string at the bery points of my fingers so that it is a "hair trigger" release, now I find out it's not the smoothest release?  ARRRGH!

I'd just ignore this advice, but it would just eat away at me every time I draw an arrow.  Coincidentally, I shot 12 arrows into a paper plate at 20 yds three days straight now. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 12:58:30 am »
Congratulations Steve. Glad you got it worked out.
  On the picking the spot thing...that is getting totally emersed in your target so only where the arrow will go is visable, everything else blurs out. At least that's how it is for me. Heavy concentration and change your sight picture from wide angle to pinpoint focus.

John, that would be a good project for after at least the first deer is down.  ;)