Author Topic: When to cut cane?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline jmack

When to cut cane?
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:53:53 pm »
I know I've read it somewhere on here, but I just can't find it today. We've got loads of cane growing around here (no idea what kind), and I cut some this past winter. After lurking the past few days, I've come to realize that what I cut was mostly 1st year growth. So, when is it a good time to cut cane? We've been fairly drought stricken, and it should all be dry right now, but should it be cut green? The patch I cut mine from was huge. I mean the stalks themselves. I took a 3/8ths wrench with me, and all I could have cut was 1st year growth. The rest was a good 3/4 inch at the base, and anywhere from 12-15 feet tall.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: When to cut cane?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:46 pm »
I like to wait until after the first of the year but you should be able to cut some now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 726whk

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:46:23 pm »
I've only recently started working with cane in the last year or so as it was never available to me before. I've cut mostly dry second year ( i think) but have also cut green cane and let it dry...both seem to work the same. I don't think it much matters when you cut it so long as the thickness is what ya need. I do have to say that i did cut some that was apparently to old and dry as it was kinda brittle and broke quite easily during heating and straightening.
Tim

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 06:51:38 pm »
Most native cane has a 3 year life cycle and you want to cut it only after it's 2nd year growing season. If it is dead standing(already tan in color) there is a great possibility it will alread have rot in it. Might not but not worth pulling boo splinters out of your hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »
Look at the shoots coming out of the nodes.  Usually, 1 year old cane has one or two shoots, 2 year old cane has three to five, and three year old cane has a whole bunch, six to twelve.  1 year old cane is not really good for arrows or darts, basket weavers love 2 year old cane and it will make a good arrow but will be on the light side.  I prefer 3 year old cane, it has thick walls and is almost indestructable. 

Your 10 to 12 foot long cane sounds like giant cane, sometimes you can use the smaller end but you should find arrow cane and or mountain cane in it or close by it and that make a much better arrow shaft.  Bill