Author Topic: Build-a-long: Horn Reinforced Self-Nock Arrows (Finished Arrow)  (Read 21877 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Build-a-long: Horn Reinforced Self-Nock Arrows (Finished Arrow)
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:53:03 pm »
Getting ready for hunting season.  Of course, we probably have built/chosen our weapons.  Now we're in arrow mode.  Thought I'd post this as a build-a-long, just for kicks.  Don't be too hard on me...

1.  Choose the end of the arrow you wish to be the nock end.  Cut a slot parallel to the grain of the arrow shaft.  This will be the slot which will hold the horn reinforcement.  I used a band saw but was a bit nervous about it.  Perhaps taking the time to install a finer toothed blade would have been the better choice.  It worked but, safety first.  If you don't feel confident, then use a hand saw or a couple 2 or 3 hacksaw blades taped together.

2. Smooth slot with a file.  Slot should be close to 1/8-inch wide, give or take.

3. Your finished slot should look similar to the pic.

4. Cut horn reinforcement shim.

5. Size shim to match the slot you cut in steps 1-3.

6. Cut the shim to length.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:22:11 am by MWirwicki »
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline MWirwicki

Re: Build-a-long: Horn Reinforced Self-Nock Arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 12:03:40 am »
We'll continue on until it's time to close up shop and go turn in for the night.

7.  Final test for fit.  While you're in arrow mode, it's much more efficient to make more than one.  Typically, I like to make at least a dozen, even two.  For these however, I am going to install obsidian hunting points.  I only have 3 so, 3 shafts it is.

8.  Apply glue to slots and shims.  Insert shims into slots.  Fit should be snug.  Hide glue works very well.  TBII or III works well also, and it is supposed to be water resistant (proof, or something along that nature).

9.  Clamp overnight.  Depending on shaft material, clamps shouldn't squeeze too tight.  My cedar shafts dented a bit from the clamps but, I think it'll work out in the end.

It's getting late.  I suppose it's time to turn in.  To be continued....
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:26:13 pm »
Nice reinforced nock buildalong. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:19:43 pm »
Nice work. Lets see more!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:45:10 pm »
im glad you are doing this, im thinking of doing a couple for my remaining bodkins
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:03:52 am »
Lookin' forward to this!  Can't wait to see the finished nock.

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:11:36 am »
Here we go - day number two. 

10.  The glue is dry, shafts with reinforcements are ready for trimming.

11.  Remove the excess length of the horn shim.

12.  Remove the excess side material of the horn shim.

13.  Picture shows three shafts, ready for string grooves.

14.  File grooves for the bow string.  I used a small round file.  2 or 3 hacksaw blades taped together may also be used. 

15.  Picture shows a finished string groove.

Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 01:27:23 am »
16.  Okay here we go - Picture shows 3 shafts with shaped nocks.

17.  Now it's time to decorate the shafts.  I lightly scorch the shaft with my propane torch.  Gives them a primitive "river-cane" look.  Okay, the secret is out.  I cheat a little.

18.  Wrap the nock with back sinew thread.  With the reinforcement shims, I don't really feel that the sinew wrapping is a necessity.  However, when the arrow is finished, it looks good.  Maybe it provides some insurance if for any reason the horn shim wants to drive into and split the shaft.  Did I mention, it looks good.  I think so, anyways.  You might choose to forego this step until its time to attach the feathers.  If you wrap the front and rear of the feathers with sinew or even colored thread, you can continue the wrap into the nock area.  I've done it and think it looks good, also.

19.  Picture shows a finished sinew wrap. 

20.  No picture but, at this point I feel its time to apply a finish to the arrow shaft.  I dip my arrows in the same finish as my bows.  Then I stand them up over newspaper to dry.  Overnight of course, which brings us to the end of day two. 

It just dawned on me,  I wished that I would have prepared 12 shafts.  Even though I don't have enough stone points, they would be ready for when I do.  Duh!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Build-a-long: Horn Reinforced Self-Nock Arrows (Day Two)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 08:31:07 am »
Nice job Matt,thanks for sharing. :) :) I usually don't reinforce mine except on cain where I use a dowl but I may give this a try  :) :) Looks simple and I like simple. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:18:01 am »
They look really nice! Regarding the decoration, do you have a problem when you burn them like that with them warping? I have done that several times with my arrows because I love the way it looks, and 99% of the time they then warp and are twice as hard to bring back to straight...

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 10:41:12 am »
I very lightly scorch them.  I did get carried away on the one in the pic.  I haven't had any warpage.  Maybe, because I dip them in a sealer afterwards. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »
This is a great build-a-long! I've made a couple of reinforced self nocks, but used a hardwood reinforcement tab since I don't have any horn. Yours look great! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 04:11:53 pm »
I've made a few sets of arrows with reinforced self nocks but none with horn. I used thin osage on one set anf rawhide on another. Both worked(and are still working) well.
  Nice build-along.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 05:00:34 pm »
Excellent Thread!

Thank You for posting your method.
Still trying to get my head around Primitive Arrow construction...   :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 05:07:25 pm »
Now that's slick...  Is horn heavier than the wood? Does it add weight to the back? Just curious.... 

Very interesting build :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)