Author Topic: Forsythia shoots for arrows?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Stingray45

Forsythia shoots for arrows?
« on: September 20, 2011, 02:54:43 pm »
Just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried this before? I have a huge forsythia bush in the common area next to my town house and was thinking about trying to cut a few shoots for arrow shafts. Just wondering if anyone else has tried and had any success? If so, should I harvest now and remove bark right away and then let dry or let dry with the bark on? Thanks.

Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: Forsythia shoots for arrows?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 01:37:07 am »
if you want, send them to me and ill find out  for you;)
noel
PS: cant hurt to try, i would leave the bark on and dip the ends in wax, what i have noticed is with the shoots i ave used is theat they will tell you when they are ready to use, the bark will crinkle and buckle as the wood shrinks
hope this helps
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:07:36 pm »
Like with any otyher shoot shafting be sure you use second year growth. I've never used forsythia but I have heard of it being use for arrows. It does have a pithy center so treat that accordingly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:09:49 pm »
I haven't had good luck with it. It was really light weight.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 01:16:04 pm »
I spoke to Commodore who had some posts on here about Forsythia shafts he made, and got some good advice. I'll post things up when I get them going.

Pat,

I'm not familiar with shoot shafts, what do you do with the pith? Or how do you treat that as you mentioned? Thanks.

Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:42:12 pm »
You can clean out the pith at the nock end and add a piece of hardwood dowel to strengthen that area or just adding a sinew wrap just ahead of the nock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 01:01:46 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. I cut some shoots the other day. Letting them dry now. Will update as I have them.